Using hot ash/embers to melt ice/snow on gravel driveway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leftyscott

Apr 6, 2009
arkansas
Just dumped two buckets of hot ash onto my driveway to melt some ice on a hill.
Wife could not drive out w/ front wheel drive honda crv. She got stuck twice and almost slid into the woods. (bad)

My 4 wheel drive truck has no problem.

Walking 200 yards w/ an ash can is a bit tedius but I am happy with the results.

My squaw should be able to drive herself out in the morning.

lefty

most all of my ash goes on the driveway after snow/ice. It works great and by the end of spring, you hardly notice it is there. However, it is messy, sticks to the tires and comes in to fall off in the garage then gets tracked around, but works awesome.

I do the same- but not on the walkway because it gets tracked in the house sumthin fierce. I also fling it over the lawn or garden. Good nutrient when used sparingly- I think having a lot of organic matter in your soil helps keep the nutrient from draining right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.