1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Using jump box to power blower

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by aerocolors, Mar 3, 2013.

1. aerocolors

aerocolors New Member

Loc:
    Lynchburg, Va
    Hi everyone , I have been reading the forums for a few months. My wife and I installed an Englander insert a few months ago. It works great. We have a snow storm coming in a couple days,with possible heavy snow and power outages..
    Can the blower on the insert be powered by a jump box ( used to jump start cars ) or a power inverter.
    I think the blower uses very little power, under a watt, but didn't know if it will damage the rheostat or the motor.

Thanks Dave

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If the jump box has an inverter outlet providing 120vac then yes. But don't expect it to run for long. The motor uses a lot more than a watt of power. I would guess it's more like 75 watts and that's at 120v, not 12vdc. Add inverter inefficiency (-15%) and you will not have too long a running time unless the battery has significant capacity.
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech Guest

Watts is watts. 75W is 75W regardless of volatge. (I suspect you knew that already BG.);)

100W inverter hooked to a car/marine battery or a jump box will run that for quite awhile. Jump box batteries are designed for high-discharge levels in a short period of time, but would still run the inverter, just not as long. Jump box capacities can vary wildly.
  4. TradEddie

TradEddie Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Isn't there a problem using the square wave of cheap inverters to run motors?

TE
  5. jeff_t

jeff_t Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI