Using jump box to power blower

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by aerocolors, Mar 3, 2013.

1. aerocolors

aerocolors
    Expand Collapse

Loc:
    Lynchburg, Va
    Hi everyone , I have been reading the forums for a few months. My wife and I installed an Englander insert a few months ago. It works great. We have a snow storm coming in a couple days,with possible heavy snow and power outages..
    Can the blower on the insert be powered by a jump box ( used to jump start cars ) or a power inverter.
    I think the blower uses very little power, under a watt, but didn't know if it will damage the rheostat or the motor.

Thanks Dave

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen
    Expand Collapse
    Mooderator
    Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If the jump box has an inverter outlet providing 120vac then yes. But don't expect it to run for long. The motor uses a lot more than a watt of power. I would guess it's more like 75 watts and that's at 120v, not 12vdc. Add inverter inefficiency (-15%) and you will not have too long a running time unless the battery has significant capacity.

Collapse Signature Expand Signature
  3. MasterMech

MasterMech
    Expand Collapse

Watts is watts. 75W is 75W regardless of volatge. (I suspect you knew that already BG.);)

100W inverter hooked to a car/marine battery or a jump box will run that for quite awhile. Jump box batteries are designed for high-discharge levels in a short period of time, but would still run the inverter, just not as long. Jump box capacities can vary wildly.

4. TradEddie

TradEddie
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    Isn't there a problem using the square wave of cheap inverters to run motors?

TE

5. jeff_t

jeff_t
    Expand Collapse
    Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE MI