Q&A Using LPG and NG with ventless fireplace

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Dear Craig, I currently have a 6 year old ventless natural gas fireplace. Is it possible to adapt it to run on either propane or natural gas as supplies are available? I'm concerned about a NG shortage this winter due to y2k and want to have the option of switching to LPG and back to NG as needed. Can this be done? Who should I contact in the Northern VA (DC Suburbs) to make the changes I would need? Please email your answer to the above address and to [email protected]. THANKS for helping me with this situation. All my best

Answer:

It is not possible to convert the existing burner to LP. This is because it is a vent-free unit and these units are not allowed to be modified outside of the factory.

Your only option would be to have a second (LP) log set and burner which could be installed into the fireplace. Contact your retailer or the manufacturer for this option.

Status
Not open for further replies.