Using wood heat for more than heat

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dafattkidd

Minister of Fire
Dec 11, 2007
Long Island
So someone posted this incredible product on another thread http://www.biolitestove.com/campstove/camp-overview/features/

How far of a stretch is it to use this same technology and better utilize all the energy produced by wood heat?
Examples:
  • self powered fans on inserts/stoves
  • extra electrical outlets to power/charge small appliances or devices
If this small product can generate enough power to run a small fan and charge a cell phone, I can only imagine the energy generated from a larger source would be significantly greater. I would love to hear your opinions, especially the engineer minded members. Thanks.

Reactions: AnalogKid
Wow, how cool is that?? Nice find.

The Biolite stove uses peltier plates for generating electricity

They are usually used the other direction, using electricity to cool electronics. If you buy a couple(they are cheap 2-3 dollars apiece) you could rig a powerhouse for something run off the heat of your wood stove. A radio, small Fan, or if your off grid a few of them could be used to charge small electronics. If you got really ambitious you could charge a small bank of Deep Cell Batteries that would give you power during the winter. Here are a couple of links to show you what is going on. If you rigged up a water cooling system for the cold side they would work even better. Try a small passive radiator sitting against a exterior window and some thin copper tube running to a heat ex changer attached to the peltier plate sitting on the stove.

I have been looking at this since last year when I installed my woodstove.

FL4HB34HAQ3CI5A.LARGE.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-Stove-Fan-for-under-50/

Great responses! Interesting ideas. Begreen I'll read through those other threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.