"Utilitarian" stove paint?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
Over the summer my dehumidifier died and the basement got a little moist-as a result my Englander furnace has developed some surface rust. During my preseason restoration (new door gaskets, replace cracked firebrick, etc...) I just want to get a good coat of paint on it to protect it. It sits in my basement so no need to look shiny or nice. Is Rustoleum grill paint adequate for this?

I have used that paint many times with no problems.

The grill paint you mentioned worked well for me on the Atlanta Stove.

I used some valspar grill paint and found it to be a little more on the glossy side. I like Rutland stove paint. It is flat black and dries fast.

Good luck,
Bill

And to remove the surface rust some steel wool will work fine.

I have used both the spray on and the brushable. I found the bush on to hold up better to cleanings w/ a damp cloth to remove dust. I would only get about 1.5 years out of the spray on before it looked whooped and every time I wiped down the stove / touched it I'd be picking up black paint. The brush on version of the same stuff is on year 3 and still looks perfect. Others have had good results with the spray on, but I haven't each of the times I've tried. I also found the overspray to be absolutely ridiculous and made a mess in my basement. The brush on didn't give me any problems with that either.

Reviews-Rustoleum-233967-High-Heat-Paint-Black-Pack_31Yj1Nh8YdL._468_440.jpg

pen

It's probably ok, but ask Engander support about compatibility. I believe they use Stove Brite which is acetone based.

Status
Not open for further replies.