V. C. Defiant question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kksalm

Hearth Supporter
Dec 21, 2007
Kenai Alaska
I just bought a used Defiant. There's an opening covered by a hinged piece of sheet metal on the bottom left side on the back of the stove allowing air to enter the stove. There are two (screw hole?) openings directly above near the top of the stove. One has a bent rod inserted in it. I'm assuming this must be so one can mechanically adjust the air flow. Can someone please explain how this should be hooked up and what part or parts specifically I'm lacking?
Thank you in advance for answering.
Best wishes for the coming New Year. Ken

There is supposed to be a bimetallic thermostat mounted at the top that controls via a chain linkage the lower air flap. The thermostat has a setting rod for setting the desired temp. Check on the hearth articles, I believe Craig has the original manual up there.

Thank you for helping. Well I've been searching and I came across the Defiant Encore manual which is a totally diferent stove. Can anyone provide the link to the NC Defiant model if one exists.
Best regards, Ken

Thank you so much Corie. This forum and website has become my favorite because of the helpful articles and advice from people actually doing and living a great life revolving around a hearth of some type.
Best regards, Ken

My parents had a VC Defiant when I was growing up, and still do, and I have great memories of that stove. NOT of the chore of bringing in the wood. Now I don't mind though.

From what I remember, the sheet metal is the air intake, and above it should be mounted some sort of crank device with a chain linking the two. That being said, Corie's advice, read the fine manual, trumps mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.