Vacu Stack experience/reviews

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

thebearded1

Dec 4, 2018
Southern Maryland
Edit: Rockford sells a cap to fix the below problem. Does anyone else have input from using a vacustack?

Has anyone ever used this combination? I recently ordered them along with other parts to extend my chimney and the Vacu Stack leaves the Class A pipe's insulation exposed (see attached photos). The Vacu Stack for air cooled pipes has a cover that looks like it would cover this but it also has spacers that elevate the cover above the pipe so rain could still get to the insulation. I really wanted to use this cap to help improve my draft (which is why I'm adding a 4' piece of Class A). Any thoughts?

48926459_1785708284863432_3865837820463546368_n.jpg48936589_313482715932658_7739199422902304768_n.jpg

Last edited:
Has anyone ever used this combination? I recently ordered them along with other parts to extend my chimney and the Vacu Stack leaves the Class A pipe's insulation exposed (see attached photos). The Vacu Stack for air cooled pipes has a cover that looks like it would cover this but it also has spacers that elevate the cover above the pipe so rain could still get to the insulation. I really wanted to use this cap to help improve my draft (which is why I'm adding a 4' piece of Class A). Any thoughts?

View attachment 236858View attachment 236859
You absolutely can't leave the top open.

Why do you think you need a vacustack?

I know I can't leave the top open I was just wondering if anyone ever found a collar to make the vacu stack work. I'm in the process of sending the vacu stack back and getting a rock vent cap. I was worried I wouldn't be getting enough draft. I have a masonry chimney that is 9' from the wall thimble to the top of the chimney. 3' from the stove top to the wall thimble. I've never had a wood stove on this chimney so I don't know how it would do but from what I've heard from this forum it seems short. I'm lining the masonry chimney with an insulated flexible liner and adding a 4' section of Class A pipe to the top. The stove is an older Woodstock Palladian with the round cat and 6" flue (not 7"). Does it seem with the improvements I'm making the vacu stack wouldn't be needed anyway?

I know I can't leave the top open I was just wondering if anyone ever found a collar to make the vacu stack work. I'm in the process of sending the vacu stack back and getting a rock vent cap. I was worried I wouldn't be getting enough draft. I have a masonry chimney that is 9' from the wall thimble to the top of the chimney. 3' from the stove top to the wall thimble. I've never had a wood stove on this chimney so I don't know how it would do but from what I've heard from this forum it seems short. I'm lining the masonry chimney with an insulated flexible liner and adding a 4' section of Class A pipe to the top. The stove is an older Woodstock Palladian with the round cat and 6" flue (not 7"). Does it seem with the improvements I'm making the vacu stack wouldn't be needed anyway?
Vacustacks actually hurt draft without wind and they are a pain to clean. They are good solutions to very specific wind related problems. But I don't see that they will help you.

Vacustacks actually hurt draft without wind and they are a pain to clean. They are good solutions to very specific wind related problems. But I don't see that they will help you.

I forgot to add my other worry was I live on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and it can be windy at times. Hopefully the rock vent cap will work out fine.

I forgot to add my other worry was I live on the shore of the Chesapeake Bay in Maryland and it can be windy at times. Hopefully the rock vent cap will work out fine.
Which cap are you ordering

So Rockford does have a cap to make this work. Anyone else with vacustack experience?
Olympia does. And rockvent is just rebranded ventis pipe. But I would avoid the vacustacks unless absolutely nessecary

Thanks any other suggestions for a cap for my scenario? Would be best to just start with a regular cap and go from there if I have issues?
Thanks!
That is what I would do

I just purchased the 6 inch Vacu-stack and plan on using a storm collar 8 inch to protect the duravent insulated pipe top...Ill let ya know how it goes.

I just purchased the 6 inch Vacu-stack and plan on using a storm collar 8 inch to protect the duravent insulated pipe top...Ill let ya know how it goes.
You would need a 6" storm collar not 8

Reactions: MR. GLO
Thanks. I hope not. The sales at Rockford Chimney Supply told me that gets measure different with the insulated pipe. If you are right I will be making two trips to the roof lol. I ll update you when i get the news.

Thanks. I hope not. The sales at Rockford Chimney Supply told me that gets measure different with the insulated pipe. If you are right I will be making two trips to the roof lol. I ll update you when i get the news.
An 8" would be needed to go around the outside of the insulated pipe. But you don't need that you need it to cover the top of the insulated pipe so the id needs to be the inside of that insulated pipe not the outside

Reactions: MR. GLO
An 8" would be needed to go around the outside of the insulated pipe. But you don't need that you need it to cover the top of the insulated pipe so the id needs to be the inside of that insulated pipe not the outside
Ok thanks for the info Ill try calling them

That stove should draft fine with what you got I had the keystone and it was an easy drafting stove. Good luck