Vacuum Cleanout Cap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony K

Jan 11, 2009
Northeast Ct
Took advantage of yesterdays unusual warm weather to give stove a 100% cleaning and finally installed the vacuum cleanout cap. This will save time for sure when cleaning the stove pipe not having to cut, scrap the end cap from the stove pipe.

Attachments

• cleanout.jpg
    cleanout.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 360
very nice. great idea.

St_Earl,

got the idea from the advertisement usually on the top of this forum, SELKIRK.

i wonder if that fits the excel pipe?

Yes very handy, usually found on selkirk.

Attachments

• IMAG0078.jpg
    IMAG0078.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 331
St_Earl said:
i wonder if that fits the excel pipe?

I'd give them a call or send an e-mail but guessing it's made to fit all 3 inch or 4 inch diameter stove pipe...

honestly I am not sure what brand of stove pipe I have as it was part of the deal when I bought the stove "free installation" and painted black, I can't see any identification markings on it and it was 9 years ago I had the install.

I put one of these in today (Selkirk). I'd just brushed out the vent pipe a week or two back and not much came out when I pulled the old cap, but stuck the shop-vac up inside just for luck and then installed the cap and tried it out. It's not the leaf blower, but I can do it every week when I've got it cooled for cleaning anyway without a boatload of disassembly, and I'm sure it will help. I pulled off the hose on the outside air input and could feel the airflow going in.

I made a ShopVac cleanout yesterday with a leftover section of vent pipe, a 3" to 2" rubber plumbing coupling and a ShopVac extension tube. All I have to do is take off the cleanout cap and put this adapter in its place. Hook up the ShopVac and turn it on. I'm going to try it out tomorrow if I'm feeling better in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.