vacuum switch on Santa Fe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that does not clear it, then remove the hose from the nipple on the Auger chute and use a toothpick or small wire to break up the fines that have accumulated and plugged it up.

The fines get plugged up in the nipple and prevent the vac switch from getting satisfied.

Clear the.blockage and all should be well.[/quote]

Well, I hate to hurt feelings, but DexterDay was absolutely right. This time I tried a length of light coat hanger wire and jabbed at it pretty good. It broke thru and it's running fine now. Not knowing what was back there, I didn't poke too hard on the first try. Didn't want to cause any more problems than I already had. New switch is back in its box and the house is nice and toasty - with the old switch doing its job.

Many thanks..............Lar.

Take off the side panel (right side) and remove the vac hose from the back of the auger feed chute and poke a very small allan key or something through the hole. Remove the vac house altogether, blow through it, put it on the nipple of the feed chute and blow again, then hook it up to the vac switch

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
dont listen to him. Your micro switch is sticking. See it a lot with Contours and Sante Fe's, you need a 0.10 WC switch wired NO. Easy enough. $22

You need a magnehelic gauge or manometer to set it...or insert the black spring and rotate the screw 4 times clockwise to get in there abouts

http://www.amazon.com/Supco-universal-footprint-pressure-sensing/dp/B008FM9VUA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355643268&sr=8-1&keywords=supco universal pressure switch

Don't get that switch.

Just get the nice heavy duty metal vacuum switch from Grainger with the easy to adjust set screw and turn it all the way to the right to the lowest WC.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CLEVELAND-CONTROLS-Air-Sensing-Switch-4XB70?Pid=search

• Grainger Item # 4XB70
    Price (ea.) $27.35
    Brand CLEVELAND CONTROLS
    Mfr. Model # RFS-4150
    UNSPSC # 39121506
    Ship Qty. 1
    Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
    Ship Weight (lbs.) 0.55
    Availability Ready to Ship
    Catalog Page No. 4385
    Country of Origin
    (Country of Origin is subject to change.) USA
Click on pic below to enlarge

Attachments

• VacuumSwitch.jpg
    VacuumSwitch.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 122
Don't get that switch.

Just get the nice heavy duty metal vacuum switch from Grainger with the easy to adjust set screw and turn it all the way to the right to the lowest WC.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CLEVELAND-CONTROLS-Air-Sensing-Switch-4XB70?Pid=search

• Grainger Item # 4XB70
    Price (ea.) $27.35
    Brand CLEVELAND CONTROLS
    Mfr. Model # RFS-4150
    UNSPSC # 39121506
    Ship Qty. 1
    Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
    Ship Weight (lbs.) 0.55
    Catalog Page No. 4385
    Country of Origin
but regular joe homeowners cannot buy from Grainger

Tax id is generally only needed if you are claiming an exemption from sales taxes, which a business generally does.

I have an account with them, they asked if it was a business account I was setting up, I said no.

No trouble at all.

Don't get that switch.

• Grainger Item # 4XB70
    Price (ea.) $27.35
    Brand CLEVELAND CONTROLS
    Mfr. Model # RFS-4150
    UNSPSC # 39121506
    Ship Qty. 1
    Sell Qty. (Will-Call) 1
    Ship Weight (lbs.) 0.55
    Catalog Page No. 4385
    Country of Origin

Why buy that switch when he said its working in post #26 above?

Stove is running. Save your money for pellets :)

Well what the hell do I know....always thought they wanted tax ids. Ok then, order away

Tax Ids are for Tax-A-Chusetts businesses not Tax Free Salem NH. :)

Why buy that switch when he said its working in post #26 above?

Stove is running. Save your money for pellets :)

That is why I suggested to look into the control box and see if you have the latest revision with the bugs out. If you call HHT (Home and Hearth Techologies) with the serial # of the stove, then they should be able to tell you if your original control box is indeed the latest version. If not you may want to consider the latest version which runs the exhaust fan on Hi during the startup sequence to assure there is enough vacuum to keep the auger turning. :)

Early on, Smokey had some very good comments and suggestions that I hope you paid attention to. I often had misfires on my stoves until I set them up to the factory recommended flame height on HIGH. Even then, I had an occasional cold start on the Castile and I just opened up the feed gate slightly to get a little more starting pellet volume for the SIZE PELLET I had at the time.

If you get no feed at all, I would check for the auger running backwards occasionally. You should also be aware that if the hopper is low, when the stove is set to LOW, my stoves do not have sufficient vacuum to pull in the vacuum switch. The combustion blower sucks too much air from the hopper, which is not sealed in any way. Both of my stoves are 2007 models and they adjust the speed of the combustion blower to the heat setting when first plugged in. They ARE clear controllers! I can hook an ohmmeter to the vacuum switch, plug in the stove set on LOW with the hopper empty and the switch does NOT pull in. I flip the switch to MEDIUM and it pulls in. NOTE: That is when I plug the stove in and not when it starts up for a normal run. Perhaps there's a difference. I have not measured it during a normal run because the hopper would not be empty.

Early on, Smokey had some very good comments and suggestions that I hope you paid attention to. I often had misfires on my stoves until I set them up to the factory recommended flame height on HIGH. Even then, I had an occasional cold start on the Castile and I just opened up the feed gate slightly to get a little more starting pellet volume for the SIZE PELLET I had at the time.

If you get no feed at all, I would check for the auger running backwards occasionally. You should also be aware that if the hopper is low, when the stove is set to LOW, my stoves do not have sufficient vacuum to pull in the vacuum switch. The combustion blower sucks too much air from the hopper, which is not sealed in any way. Both of my stoves are 2007 models and they adjust the speed of the combustion blower to the heat setting when first plugged in. They ARE clear controllers! I can hook an ohmmeter to the vacuum switch, plug in the stove set on LOW with the hopper empty and the switch does NOT pull in. I flip the switch to MEDIUM and it pulls in. NOTE: That is when I plug the stove in and not when it starts up for a normal run. Perhaps there's a difference. I have not measured it during a normal run because the hopper would not be empty.

Normal run, the stove always starts in High, regardless of stove setting. So by the time the fire is established, you are creating some draft with heat and will help with the vacuum.

The Santa fe, Castile, and Classic Bay all start in high, once flame is established, it goes to users heat setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.