Valor insert- burn off smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jag1929

Feb 21, 2021
he02031929
Hi, we are new to the Forum! We are about to purchase a Valor G4 (no fan) to place in our existing wood burning fireplace. It is an enclosed unit that will vent directly through our chimney

Does anyone have experience with a burn off smell after installing the G4? I have read horrible stories about the burn off for the Mendota insert. My daughter has asthma and we all have allergies. Thanks!!

All new hearth appliances will have to be "burned off."
Some take longer than others, but they all need to
be operated for a period of time in order to cure the paint
& adhesives used in manufacture. There are preservative
oils that will burn off & smoke. You WILL have to open windows
if the smell & smoke affect you & your family...
Your BEST bet may be to hold off on you installation & required
burn off, until the weather warms & you don't need to keep your
heat INSIDE.

@DAKSY
Thank you. Does this apply to gas insert fireplaces as well? I thought they were a closed system so I wanted to clarify whether they also smell during the burn off period. I would think the smell would be vented through the chimney? Thanks!

There are paints & preservative oils on the OUTSIDE of the unit.
Those smells & any associated smoke will be confined to your home.