Valuing a Lopi fireplace insert for freestanding trade

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewerski

Jul 7, 2015
Pa
I am not a serious student of the woodburning discipline but a review of this site indicates this is the place to start my education. My son just bought a home with a Lopi Models X, FL & LX installed 1986 Fireplace Insert (as taken from the manual) which the inspection company advised was oversized for the fireplace chimney. The house seller had it professionally replaced as part of the sales agreement with the installer stating the old insert was in great shape and not to discard. I am also in the process of building a small cabin (500 sq. ft.) and plan to install a small freestanding burner. I would like to offer the insert for a freestanding burner in a fair and reasonable trade but do not know what to ask for or how to value the insert for such a trade. Advice?

Random guess in excellent condition $200 now and maybe $300 in fall during peak season.

$200 to $300 sounds about right i would probably ask $400 if i where you but expect to only get the 2 to 3

Thanks for the advice on the insert's likely value. I have not found data on the Lopi model FL's recommended capacity (sq. ft) and I have heard dramatically differing viewpoints on using an insert as a freestanding. With suitable clearances and use of non-combustibles, is the Lopi model FL in a size range usable for a 500 sq ft cabin? Thanks again for your help.

This unit was designed and tested for use only inside a masonry fireplace.

It should sell reasonably quickly in fall when the demand is high.

Status
Not open for further replies.