Van stalls after.......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

chrisasst

Minister of Fire
Aug 13, 2008
cortland ny
Ok, I can't figure this out and asked a couple of "mechanics". Here is my problem. I have a 2007 dodge caravan. It runs fine, except right after I fill the gas tank. After I fill it, if I stop at a red light it will stall. When I am driving I fill it kind of loosing power. This will continue until I drive a couple of miles, then it will run fine again until I fill up again. Any one experience this?

Customer Concern:
Engine runs rough and stalls after filling the fuel tank.

Tests/Procedures:
1. Check for liquid fuel in the vent hose going to the canister with a full tank of fuel.

2. If liquid fuel is present in the vent hose, the roll over valve is faulty.
Tech Tips:
The roll over valve is only serviced with a new fuel tank.

If you are "topping off" the tank, instead of removing the nozzle after it shuts off the first time, you are likely overloading the canister, just what smoke show is referring to.
Have you tried pulling codes from the ECU?

In the old days the vapor tanks were just big soup cans, these new ones contain activated charcoal. once they get wet with fuel you generally have to replace them to resolve the problem. Occasionally the solenoid valve gives up results are the same. Pull the codes, not all the code readers on the market can pull the latent or waiting till gets bad enough codes stored. Also a bad gas cap can some times cause a similar issue.

I don't top off, when it shuts off thats it. My check engine light has never came on so I didn't think I could get any codes..

Status
Not open for further replies.