Variable speed control/rheostat for Quadrafire insert blower

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yukiginger

Hearth Supporter
Nov 20, 2005
My control has lost all variability - i.e., it only runs on the highest speed when I turn it on and adjust the dial through its entire range. This is the second control, as I replaced the original one under warranty when it seemed to be acting up in terms of its adjustability. Anyway, now that the insert is 4 years old the electronics aren't going to be covered by the dealer, so I might need a replacement. I haven't called the dealer because I imagine they use the same switch/controller still and clearly it isn't a quality unit. I may call the dealer and inquire about this, however.

Does anyone know what would work as an aftermarket replacement? I started researching them and see that I would need to know the specs to get it right - amps/volts, etc. Will I be able to find this info. if I disassemble it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

MarkG

yukiginger said:
My control has lost all variability - i.e., it only runs on the highest speed when I turn it on and adjust the dial through its entire range. This is the second control, as I replaced the original one under warranty when it seemed to be acting up in terms of its adjustability. Anyway, now that the insert is 4 years old the electronics aren't going to be covered by the dealer, so I might need a replacement. I haven't called the dealer because I imagine they use the same switch/controller still and clearly it isn't a quality unit. I may call the dealer and inquire about this, however.

Does anyone know what would work as an aftermarket replacement? I started researching them and see that I would need to know the specs to get it right - amps/volts, etc. Will I be able to find this info. if I disassemble it?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

MarkG

Can you get to the blower motor itself? That should have the amps/volts listed. It should be a 110v unit, and as a guess, anything that would handle 5 amps should run your blower (its like a 1/10hp motor, not a very big draw).

Do you know if this controller is the same for the quad stoves? I could look at mine and probably give you some answers.

Pyro, I'd rather not dismount the blower housing as I hate the small bolts they used to hold up that cast housing. I worry every time I take those off that I will strip them or the holes when I reassemble it. I was wondering what amperage I needed, as I saw that there were 2 amp - 5 amp controls. I don't know that it's the same controller for Quad products but I imagine they are probably suited for the same fans.

Thanks.

MarkG

Mark, just as a swag, I would suggest that a 110V controller that can handle up to a 5 amp load would be fine. 5 amps @ 110V should be able to run a motor substantially larger than your blower motor.

Edit: its strange that you have cooked two of these already. Mine is 6 or 7 yrs old, and no probs.

I suspect that Jags is correct. It may be just a standard shaded pole motor controller. If so, Grainger should have something. Here's an example.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5C344

If you try it, listen closely to the insert fan motor. If there is a loud humming or the motor control gets hot, don't use it.

I might also venture that the triac is probably shorted and may have been caused by an input surge or other problem. Is the controller mounted in a cool location? Solid state hates excessive heat. A triac only costs about a buck, and if you can find a good electronics geek, you might be able to replace the part for cheap.

Chris

My blower is on the back of the stove in the fireplace so I can't reach the rheostat variable control. I turned it all the way up and installed on of these in the outlet it is plugged into and it controls the blower speed perfectly.

http://www.northlineexpress.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=5SA-4008

Thanks for the replies. I don't think I've done anything to reduce the life of the control. It's in a cool spot all the way to the edge of my hearth, I have it plugged into a power strip where I have many other electronics plugged (TV, receiver, cable, etc.) and they seem fine. I will explore my options.

MarkG

I know the guy who sells Quadrafire their fan speed controls. (I go woodcutting with him all the time) I'll ask him about the cost of a unit. Can you post a picture of what the unit looks like?

TMonter, thanks for the offer. I would be interested in what your friend says and may try to purchase one. I have a call into a dealer, but they need my serial number from the unit - which tells me that Quad may have made gone with a different control in the past few years (as my insert is just 4 years old). I have ordered the control that Brother Bart and granpajohn recommended.

Thanks for your help. Here's a pic.

MarkG

Attachments

• speed1.JPG
    speed1.JPG
    120 KB · Views: 876
I'll talk to him tonight and see what he says. I'm sure the speed control the others here recommended will do fine but it might be nice to have an option.

Can you take a picture of the back and the side so I can give him everything?

~Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.