VC Defiant Encore 0028 - should I sell it??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Hello all!

I've been reading a few threads on here for some time about this stove and I think I am ready to get rid of it. Here's the quick story:

- Moved into the house back in March so I don't have a lot of experience using it yet
- No issues getting it to fire and operate correctly, just follow the directions...
- Just replaced the CAT and refractory chamber
- The heat exchanger was warped pretty good and I straightened it best I could
- The lower fireback looks to be warped... it is concave looking at from the front of stove, took a lot to tighten the bolts to get it to sit flush
- 2 bolts are stripped out that hold the back on
- one very very small, hairline crack in the right side fire back, 1/2' long at most

Besides all of that it looks to be in "good" shape

Bottom line is after having this thing apart I don't want to do it again :). With 3 small kids in the house I also don't like the fact of what it takes to get it started and having to come back to it to close the damper (I get distracted easy lol)

I am thinking of selling it and getting a simpler, non-cat stove. I would like to get 50% of our heat from it (we do have a heat pump as well)

Am I a fool for selling it and moving on??
...it sure is pretty :)
photo.php

Nope, you're not a fool. It is a beautiful stove, but there are simpler, better alternatives.

If you want a simpler non-cat that still looks good, there are several options. Take a look at the Enviro Boston 1700, Quadrafire Explorer III, Pacific Energy T6, Jotul F600 and F55 for starters.

If you like a thermostatic operation stove then look at the Blaze King Ashford 30.1. It's a cat stove, but it has a much simpler and easier to service construction.