VC Defiant, roadside

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluedogz

Minister of Fire
Oct 9, 2011
NE Maryland
On the way to work, saw a little sign roadside, handwritten, saying:
FOR SALE WOOD STOVE
VERMONT CASTINGS DEFIANT
ASKING $1200
CALL 609-xxxxxxx.

I thought, "Meh... maybe call the guy..."

This morning, he put the whole stove out roadside! On the up side, it's on a sort of homemade pallet and wrapped in plastic, but is obviously used. Plate on the back indicates its a 1910, but no date of manufacture that I can see.

Searching here, a disturbing number of threads refer to the nasty word "rebuild."

Should I even be calling this guy? Discuss.

If it is roadside free, take it and leave a 6 pack. No call required either way.

SolarAndWood said:
If it is roadside free, take it and leave a 6 pack. No call required either way.

I'm a pragmatic fellow, but I don't think I could defend calling it "roadside free" when there a sign 2 feet away that says "for sale $1200"".

Conscience can be a b&*^%!.

Guess he can't wait to get rid of it. If he put the stove on a pallet and put it by the road, how well do you think he cared for it while he was using it?
Not necessarily conclusive, but just a thought.

(this should probably be in the hearth room?)

bluedogz said:
SolarAndWood said:

I'm a pragmatic fellow, but I don't think I could defend calling it "roadside free" when there a sign 2 feet away that says "for sale $1200"".

Conscience can be a b&*^%!.

lol, you didn't say what he did with the sign.

homebrewz said:
Guess he can't wait to get rid of it. If he put the stove on a pallet and put it by the road, how well do you think he cared for it while he was using it?
Not necessarily conclusive, but just a thought.

(this should probably be in the hearth room?)

Final nail in that coffin is that it's still sitting roadside in the pouring rain as we speak.

And yeah- I messed up posting and stuck it in Wood Shed accidentally. Thought a mod would fix it...

lol, you didn’t say what he did with the sign.

Get off my shoulder!

oldspark said:
1200 bucks and its setting along the road?

Yes. On a pallet in the rain.

Offer $200, price goes down $10 for every hour it degrades outside.

BeGreen said:
Offer $200, price goes down $10 for every hour it degrades outside.

I like that idea. The situation speaks to an inexperienced burner, or someone who really does not give a ****. Either way, probably worth a lowball offer.

That said, I'm a gear head from way back, and have bought and sold MANY motorcycles under similar circumstances. But I'm not a stove gear head (wood head? blockhead?) If I were to buy this stove, what kind of overhaul would be recommended?

Hard to say without a looksee. At present, it depends on how rusty it gets. And it will rust quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.