VC encore - why is it burning too hot?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kitkat

Sep 28, 2007
I have a non-cat encore that is only a few years old. This season it has been burning too hot. Damper shut, vent shut the temp gets over 700 for a long period and I cannot cool it down. But sometimes it burns fine, around 550. I think my wood may have some pine mixed in it, would this cause it to be this hot? Could I have an air leak? How do I check? I am open for suggestions.

kitkat said:
I have a non-cat encore that is only a few years old. This season it has been burning too hot. Damper shut, vent shut the temp gets over 700 for a long period and I cannot cool it down. But sometimes it burns fine, around 550. I think my wood may have some pine mixed in it, would this cause it to be this hot? Could I have an air leak? How do I check? I am open for suggestions.

How are your gaskets? When was the last time you replaced them?

700 degrees isn't too hot. I mean, it's hot, but it shouldn't be causing any damage. Do you have a damper?

I replaced the gasket on the top load door last year, but I can't remember if I did the glass doors or not. Does the gasket around the damper get replaced? I do have the damper shut unless I am loading.

700+ degrees would concern me on this stove. 600 is my upper limit. A change in performance suggests a gasket issue to me. Check the door gaskets and the ash pan gaskets. Yes there is a gasket on the bypass you can check as well.

I have a VC Encore non-cat that was driving me out of the house with heat. We were opening windows and doors to keep the temperature in the house below 80. I found the problem was my ashpan door latch was loose, causing a rapid burn condition. I tightened the latch, and now I can keep the house at a comfortable 72 degrees. I plan on replacing the gaskets on the ashpan & top load griddle in the Spring. I'm also going to vacuum out the everburn system in the rear. I don't think that's ever been done. The stove came with the house when I purchased it last year. I love the top loading feature of the stove, and the swing-out ash pan. I do wish the stove was made of soapstone instead of cast iron.

If you smoke, then use a cigarette, cigar, pipe, etc that has smoke exiting itself and run it around the gasketed (I don't think gasketed is a word) parts of the stove when it's burning at full cruise. If you see smoke drawn in then you found your leak. If you don't enjoy the evil plant, then perhaps stink your home up with an incense stick which would do the same thing.

pen

+1 on the ash pan door. Wave that smoke around the ash pan door... I'm thinking it's out of alignment or the gasket is bad. Common problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.