VC Gilford

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

mdmount

Feb 11, 2024
North Georgia
Hi,
Anyone have experience with a VC Gilford fireplace insert?. I ended up with one last fall after contracting with a local fireplace contractor that recommended the Gilford because it is the only one that would fit the FP insert.
My complaint is that it is difficult to get a fire to last and it will go out easy. I think that it’s due to the small firebox. The wood I have been using is questionable but it was over a year old but I have not measured moisture and I don’t have any data on temperature. I wondering if others have had the same experience.
MdM

Subpar wood is the #1 most common issue, get a $35 moisture meter to be sure. #2 issue is draft. How tall is your chimney? Is it insulated?