VC Merrimack Automatic Air Setback Assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tedott

Oct 20, 2014
Chester County, PA
AASA 1.jpg AASA 2.jpg
Greetings to all.
I have a Vermont Castings Merrimack Insert. It has been working well for several years.
Recently, when moving the primary air control lever all the way to the left, I do not feel the automatic air setback assembly (AASA) "clicking" open. It seems to be missing the tension. I took the assembly unit off, but nothing jumps out at me as being broken. And I do not know what a working assembly looks like. Should the flap be connected to the bi-metal thermostat coil? Or the little cable connected to the flap? Any chance someone could post a photo of a working Automatic Air Setback Assembly? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

View attachment 141818 View attachment 141819
Greetings to all.
I have a Vermont Castings Merrimack Insert. It has been working well for several years.
Recently, when moving the primary air control lever all the way to the left, I do not feel the automatic air setback assembly (AASA) "clicking" open. It seems to be missing the tension. I took the assembly unit off, but nothing jumps out at me as being broken. And I do not know what a working assembly looks like. Should the flap be connected to the bi-metal thermostat coil? Or the little cable connected to the flap? Any chance someone could post a photo of a working Automatic Air Setback Assembly? Any suggestions would be appreciated.
The cable looks to be right, but the coil seems to just be hanging. It needs to be able to work the hooked angle metal catch. It is hard to see looking into the Merrimack I have. As the stove heats up the coil is what works the hooked catch, when the hooked catch lifts the flap falls into place reducing the air. When I get home from work I will see what information I have on it.
Good luck, Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.