VC Merrimack output confusion

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bfgibson

Hearth Supporter
Nov 2, 2008
Alabama
I have a PE Pacific in my fireplace right now that got damaged during the April tornado that hit my house, so I'm looking to install a new insert. I had thought about buying the newer PE Super or Summit to replace what I have, but the look of the Merrimack down at the local hearth company has really caught my wife's eye. Here's my confusion. When we looked at the Merrimack the firebox seemed to be much bigger than the firebox on my PE Pacific. I figured the heat output from this guy would be comparable to the PE Summit since it's so big, but it's specs seem to be closer to my PE Pacific. The Merrimack is EPA rated up to 31,780BTU and the newer PE Super is rated 34,600 BTU. Am I just missing something? I thought the output from the Merrimack would be a good bit more since its firebox is so much bigger. One reason, besides the looks, that we were thinking about getting a different insert is because it just doesn't seem to keep up in the colder months of Jan and into Feb. Your thoughts?

thanks
Brian

Brian AL said:
I have a PE Pacific in my fireplace right now that got damaged during the April tornado that hit my house, so I'm looking to install a new insert. I had thought about buying the newer PE Super or Summit to replace what I have, but the look of the Merrimack down at the local hearth company has really caught my wife's eye. Here's my confusion. When we looked at the Merrimack the firebox seemed to be much bigger than the firebox on my PE Pacific. I figured the heat output from this guy would be comparable to the PE Summit since it's so big, but it's specs seem to be closer to my PE Pacific. The Merrimack is EPA rated up to 31,780BTU and the newer PE Super is rated 34,600 BTU. Am I just missing something? I thought the output from the Merrimack would be a good bit more since its firebox is so much bigger. One reason, besides the looks, that we were thinking about getting a different insert is because it just doesn't seem to keep up in the colder months of Jan and into Feb. Your thoughts?

thanks
Brian

Different companies rate the BTU outputs differently. A bigger firebox means more heat. The Merrimack has a 3 cu ft firebox. How it compares to the Summit, I am not sure of, though. The summit sticks out of the fireplace more so it may provide more radiant heating. Also, the burn times might be better on the Summit than on the Merrimack. I'm not sure since I do not own either. Isn't the summit a 3 cu ft firebox? I believe the Super is about a 2 cu ft firebox, right?

BrowningBAR i was thinkin my old Pacific was either 1.8 or 2 cu ft. You have have hit the nail. I was thinking that each company's EPA test was an apples to apples type of test so that i could compare between brands. If that's not the case then it might explain the difference. I've just not been able to figure out how that bigger firebox could produce less heat, at least in the EPA load test.

Brian

Brian AL said:
BrowningBAR i was thinkin my old Pacific was either 1.8 or 2 cu ft. You have have hit the nail. I was thinking that each company's EPA test was an apples to apples type of test so that i could compare between brands. If that's not the case then it might explain the difference. I've just not been able to figure out how that bigger firebox could produce less heat, at least in the EPA load test.

Brian

It's not. My own example would be the Encore vs. the Heritage. The Encore was rated at 40,000 BTUs for the longest time. The Heritage is rated at 55,000 BTUs. Both have a claimed 2.3 cu ft firebox. The Encore actually puts out more heat and has a longer burn time.

Vogelzang has a stove, The Performer, with a 2.155 cubic ft firebox that has a claim output of 119,000 BTUs. Pretty sure that's not going to put out more heat than two Blaze King King that have a rating of 47,000 BTUs.

Go by firebox size. That is the best indication. Though, those numbers can be fudged as well. (See; Encore vs Heritage).

Thanks Browning, that's what i needed to know.

Brian

Brian AL said:
Thanks Browning, that's what i needed to know.

Brian

Glad I could help.

All I can tell you is not to buy the Merrimack. I bought one last October and have had problems ever since, both with the unit and with Vermont Castings' customer service. Send me a PM and I'll fill you in on the details if you want to hear them.

jvoelker said:
All I can tell you is not to buy the Merrimack. I bought one last October and have had problems ever since, both with the unit and with Vermont Castings' customer service. Send me a PM and I'll fill you in on the details if you want to hear them.

thanks for the info jvoelker. I actually wound up buying a Jotul Rockland. When it came down to the wire I was just a little too unsure of the Merrimack. The Merrimack sure was easy on the eyes.

Yesterday started my first 24 hr burn of the season and I am very satisfied so far.

I'd still be interested in your Merrimack issues.

thanks
Brian

Status
Not open for further replies.