1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

VC Merrimack owners - how hot do you run your insert?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Charlene Kravec, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Charlene Kravec

Charlene Kravec New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Tennessee
    I have a cat. Sequoia and got a cat. reading last night of 700F. Since your insert is, I think, somewhat comparable to mine are you getting those sort of temps with a hot fire on average? Sure kept the glass nice and clean! Lots of internal space and steel to heat. Thanks for your input.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    700F is near the upper limit for the stovetop. Where are you reading the temperature?
  3. Charlene Kravec

Loc:
    Eastern Tennessee
    I have a Condar digital catalyst thermometer which has a probe that inserts into a hole in front of the unit housing the catalyst. My Sequoia looks like the avatar. It's sort of in the middle between the two top latices above the doors.
  4. Bluerubi

Bluerubi Member

Loc:
    Auburn, NH
    Not sure how to even measure temp on my Merrimack. I have it closed down 95% of the time, and very minimal glass cleaning is needed. Wide open it can really rip, but its easy to slow down.
  5. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA
    Wait, if the 700 degrees is from the cat prob, that is a low cat probe temp.
  6. Charlene Kravec

Loc:
    Eastern Tennessee
    The cat. probe doesn't go very far into the hole made for the original VC thermometer. I do know from reading that the probe should be about a quarter inch away from the cat. but it stops after the crimped end. Also I can't see the probe looking up from underneath because the housing for the catalyst is solid metal.
  7. Bluerubi

Bluerubi Member

Loc:
    Auburn, NH
    We must be talking about different inserts. My Vermont castings Merrimack is a non catalytic insert. No good way to measure temp from what I can see.
  8. Charlene Kravec

Loc:
    Eastern Tennessee
    Right. Your Merrimack is a non catalytic insert. I thought, erroneously as it turns out, that VC would have provided a way for the user to measure the temperature because it is possible to overfire the insert. I thought that knowing the temperature would be useful from a safety standpoint.