VC Montpelier II - Air Control

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

log-jammer

Oct 11, 2022
New England
This past spring I had the subject wood insert installed and for the life of me, I cannot get a draft started. It's a brand new liner and wood insert; my wood is 20% or lower according to my moisture reading tool.

The ACC does tick, so it seems like it's working, however, I don't hear the damper opening. Also, the ACC - when you look at it, it's super loose, like there are 2 screws behind it to the right of the blower that is hard to get at, are those supposed to be loose? I found a YouTube video and a guy who had the same issue and I'm not sure if it was resolved ().

Thanks in advance.

Draft can be sluggish if the liner is <15', or crimped, and the outside temps are mild.

What was the outside temp? Describe the starup procedure. Have you tried at top-dpwn start?

Where is the insert located in relation to the house, basement, first floor, or second floor?

The insert is located on the first-floor via a masonry chimney and the over liner is approximately 18' high. I do believe that there is a crimp (I'm assuming that means a bend in the liner from the insert that goes up into the chimney.

I've attempted to fire it up in cold temps (teens, 20s) and mild (50s) and no luck.

I have NOT attempted a top-down start. Once the weather gets colder (it's in the 50s-60s) now I'll give that a try. Thank you.

It sounds like the liner needs an inspection with a camera. It could be kinked or if 2ply, it may be delaminating.

I have the same insert as you have (quadra fire, but it's the same). I have about 21 ft of liner, and I've never had issues with it not drafting, in contrary. Mine is almost like a rocket stove, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Run a camera up the chimney and see what's going on. You can use a cheap borescope/endoscope camera off amazon that you hook up to a laptop. That's how I inspected mine yesterday

I have the same insert as you have (quadra fire, but it's the same). I have about 21 ft of liner, and I've never had issues with it not drafting, in contrary. Mine is almost like a rocket stove, and there's nothing I can do about it.

Run a camera up the chimney and see what's going on. You can use a cheap borescope/endoscope camera off amazon that you hook up to a laptop. That's how I inspected mine yesterday
Could you block the air intake a bit?

This past spring I had the subject wood insert installed and for the life of me, I cannot get a draft started. It's a brand new liner and wood insert; my wood is 20% or lower according to my moisture reading tool.

The ACC does tick, so it seems like it's working, however, I don't hear the damper opening. Also, the ACC - when you look at it, it's super loose, like there are 2 screws behind it to the right of the blower that is hard to get at, are those supposed to be loose? I found a YouTube video and a guy who had the same issue and I'm not sure if it was resolved ().

Thanks in advance.

To answer your question, yes those screws for the ACC will be very loose. The knob just pushes a mechanical timer and the actuating rod needs to be loose so the timer can push it back as the timer winds down. I don't know how to increase your draft.