VC Radiance Direct Vent Gas conversion - need advice!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

FritzT

Oct 1, 2016
Maine
I purchased a used VC Radiance direct vent natural gas stove at a garage sale this summer. I am hoping to convert it to liquid propane fuel.

The stove was inherited by the garage saler's dad who purchased it about 3.5 years ago. I have the name of the shop it was purchased at and have confirmed the sale.

Unfortunately, somehow in the moving and/ or storage of the unit, the physical product tag/ ID is missing. I have contacted the store it was purchased at and they didn't know if they can tell me the actual specific model/ product #, they could only confirm that a sale was made by general product code. Despite several calls to the store, they don't seem very interested in selling me parts or helping, etc.

It sounds like not having the product tag # could be a problem in terms of getting the stove hooked up.

I am hoping to convert this stove from natural gas to propane. Does anyone have any suggestions? Are all VC conversion kits the same? It sounds like often when you purchased a NG stove new, they also give you the LP conversion kit. Is that true? Does anyone have one they are not using?

Who knew it could be so complicated? I'm a newbie to stoves. Thanks.

Fritz

Thanks for the links to the schematics. I am reviewing them.

I am wondering if the current valve I have can be used for either natural gas or LP. On the valve it says "NG/LPG convertible". The valve i have is identical to the one on the attached link (SIT group model # 0820852).

http://www.woodmanspartsplus.com/793723/products/SIT-LP-Gas-Valve.html

Maybe this means I won't have to switch out the valve? Is there anything else that I would have to switch? Adaptor? IMG_0708(2).jpg

Any advice is appreciated! Thanks a lot.

To correctly convert from one fuel to another, there are 5 steps.
1. Change the regulator head.
2. Change the pilot orifice.
3. Change the burner orifice (& maybe the burner, too.)
4. Adjust the air shutter.
5. Attach the label for the fuel that can now be burned.