VC Resolute 1987 - How much did it cost new and is this is a reliable stove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dggreen

Sep 22, 2010
cape cod
I am looking at heating a 1200 square foot home and am looking to find a stove that will do the job for years to come. I have a line on a VC Resolute, 1987, that was used for a few seasons and has not been used since. The stove looks to be in pretty good shape. Does anyone know what the cost of this stove would have been in 1987 +/-? Also, are there any issues I should be aware of with this stove? Thanks.

If this is a Resolute Acclaim there were definitely issues with this stove's refractory breaking down every few years of burning. It was a beautiful looking stove, but a maintenance headache. I think you would do better getting a new stove with the tax credit.

Are you talking about a Resolute, or a resolute acclaim? I had a resolute acclaim for 14 years. It was a nice looking stove and heated pretty well. But it ate up parts. I had to replace the combustor box every couple of years (minimum) for about $200. The one I had was a single front door and had a nice top loading feature. It looked like the one in this link. Resolute Acclaim If that's the one, I would think twice about buying a used one. It could nickel and dime you to death.

I think it cost about $2K in 1994-5

I just sold my Consolidated Dutchwest Sequioa FA455, 1989 vintage. Cat stove, solid cast iron, ~ 3 CF. It cost around $1,200 back in '89. I really liked this stove. Burned it for about 14 winters of the 20 winters I had it. I converted my oil furnace to high eff gas in my old house and got out of burning wood for about 6 years. My cat combuster was original. It finally crumbled a couple years ago prompting me to decide to go with a new stove rather then rebuilding my old one. But it was a heat monster with great overnight burns and no problems.

That's a totally different animal GE.

thanks for the replys. sounds like this could be one to steer away from.
the stove was built in 87. does this make it an resolute or resolute acclaim? has the entire resolute series been known to have porblems? any guesses on what it cost new back in '87?

Status
Not open for further replies.