VC Resolute Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

btangarone

Dec 25, 2010
Southern NH
Hi All,
I'm a new member and have already found lots of great info on the site.
I'm likely picking up a VC Resolute II (? drop door model) that essentially comes for free with a couple of cords of wood I'm buying. Sorry if these questions have been addressed before:
- General impressions on this stove? I believe it has secondary burn, but has the efficiency of stoves improved greatly since the introduction of the EPA standards on newer models?
- For installation, the best option for us is rear venting: through the wall and along the gable end of a largish family room. I still need to work out the chimney length, but I believe it will be approximately 12-15 ft.
- Does rear venting work OK for this stove? Is there a big loss in efficiency in rear venting or does it depend on the total chimney length? I believe I came across a comment on some site that it's better to run it straight out from the stove rather than up for some length, elbowing and then out?
Thanks!

I have the REsolute lll and I have it set up as rear exit of smoke etc. Works fine, has secondary, whole on left side of the stove near the rear which I am told should be totally open. Have it cleared if you can not do it yourself so you have a good secondary. I like mine but wished it was bigger to put out more heat, in a unheated room 12x20 and it is warm at 69 degrees, rest of the house is 62 or so, gettig the heat out of this room to other rooms is not easy. The older Vermont Castings are great stoves, the newer ones not so sure, changed hands a few times.

Hey ,good find! Resolute is a little tank of astove. They actually can do alot of heating for their compact size, and I know I'll get varguments on this, but it MAY be their best product ever. Fortunately they are simply constructed and east to look after, though there are a few things to know and watch for. First, the front and door castings are no longer available from V.C. so look CAREFULLY at the hinge bosses (where the pins go through the front and door) for chips or cracks. THis is not nearly as common as I would think, but it IS a total deal breaker. IIf your door won't stay on, then all the fun goes right out of it. Second and more likely is the damper thing. Most but not all drop door Res.s have a 1 piece fireback. Eventually it warps enough to screw up damper operation and will need replacement. If it IS 1 piece, fear not for the repair 8is not that expensive. Finally, it is a nusiance to get out frozen flue collar screws, and they always seem to be stuck. CAREFUL onm this project,"cause V.C. no lopnger makes flue collars either, so if ya ' hurt it, the party's over . I DO have a source for parts and service in NH should you need it. Happy heating.

Great info. I can get my stove to 600 or even 700 but it cruises around 500 or so but the room never gets above 70 and to get to 70 takes a few hours so............. Maybe it should get a good cleaning since I got it free from a dear friend and not sure when he had it serviced last. Ran it last year and now this year. I have something I made to vacuum out the through the back hole for the secondary burn but never took the place off behind the top door and imagine if I did it would be somewhat clogged but not sure. Will a chimney sweep know how to do it or do I need more specific help like a VC dealer? IF VC dealer they may have not even seen this model as it is from around 1985 I think or before so the kid who shows up may not have been born when this thing was made. I tis a little beast for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.