VC Vigilant 1977

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanB

Hearth Supporter
Feb 12, 2008
RI
Any body have old parts for a vigilant 1977 , Really appreciate some help, the stove is awesome , I just have problems with the cast iron that holds the glass in place there completely warped and corroded.

DanB said:
Any body have old parts for a vigilant 1977 , Really appreciate some help, the stove is awesome , I just have problems with the cast iron that holds the glass in place there completely warped and corroded.

Sorry, can't help with the glass frames. Those parts were discontinued some time ago. The cast frames were replaced by a stainless steel clip system. You may be able to upgrade to the latest glass clips but it will be hard to do without a physical inspection. If your handy, you may be able to modify it yourself. The Vigilant is still in production, as a coal stove, and you may be able to order a set of the current glass hardware and make it work.

Keep in mind that the stove is probably not 1977- that is the creation date of the first model in this series.

If your stove has glass, it cannot be that first model.

Some little tips on identifying the exact stove are here:
http://www.discountstove.com/partsvcwbfreestanding.htm

Basically, there are "short" doors and long doors - I think it is the space vertically between the hinge pins.

Even newer models can be identified because the side castings wrap around the front - which hides the furnace cement channel. On earlier models you will see the seam clearly.

Status
Not open for further replies.