1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

VC Vigilant: seasoning with Crisco

Post in 'Classic Wood Stove Forums (prior to approx. 1993)' started by Kenster, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Kenster

Kenster Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Texas- West of Houston
    I've found a few threads on the subject but can't quite figure out the correct process. I'd like to 'blacken' our Vig. I don't want to paint it and would prefer to go 'natural.' So, how does one go about it?

Do I apply the Crisco to a cold stove, then fire it up? Or, start rubbing it into a warm OR hot stove?

Is it necessary to get the stove temp up super high or will, say 450 degrees or so work.

Would it be better to apply a very thin layer at a time? Rub in in good, wipe off the excess, let that cook in, then add another layer?

I'd like to avoid a major smoking event, if possible. I'm thinking a powerful fan sitting near the stove, aimed at the nearest window, with a box fan in the window venting to the outside, should help keep the smoke to a minimum.

Any suggests, advice, or warnings will be appreciated.

Looking forward to my first burn of the season this weekend!

Ken
    Bellville TX

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  3. geoxman

geoxman Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    STL City
    I have tried this and it is tough to get an even coating and it will burn off in really hot zones. On my larger stove I use lard, bacon grease and what ever spills over from cooking. The stove on my 2nd floor is painted with 2000 degree black paint and a coat of 2000 degree gloss and the stove looks much nicer. I burnt a fire outside in the stove for a few days to make sure all chemicals were gone. The painted stove looks nicer IMHO. good luck