VC Vigilant Shaker Grate Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Born Of Fire

Hearth Supporter
Sep 24, 2009
Hudson Valley NY
This will be my first year burning with a wood stove I acquired the vigilant with the home I purchased. My question is are the shaker grates used just for burning coal ( I will be burning wood) any tips or knowledge on this stove would also be appreciated BTW the site rules constantly checking it out have learned a lot already I am psyched, hope the Vigilant does me me right

There have been many models of the Vigilant, some are wood only, some could be converted to coal, and newer ones are really coal only.

Try to identify the exact model - best way is:
http://www.discountstove.com/partsvcwbfreestanding.htm#Vigilant

If your unit has a separate ashpan that is underneath the stove, then it is a coal model.....

Let us know which it is and maybe we can give some tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.