VC WWL removing-grate help: rods in way...?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeanBrown3D

Hearth Supporter
Oct 16, 2006
Princeton, NJ
Anyone removed their front grate on a VC WWL? See pic.

The grate won't slide up vertically - on the right is a plate in the groove stopping it.

It won't diagonal up and out - its too wide and there is not enough room.

It can't lay back - there are two rods in the way, one on each side.

Nothing about removing it in the manual.

Any help appreciated. It looks like I could remove the two bars if really really necessary, but it looks like a PITA.

Thanks!

DeanB

Attachments

• DSCN2221.JPG
    DSCN2221.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 223
Here's a few arrows:

Attachments

• DSCN2221.JPG
    DSCN2221.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 200
Anyone?

I don't even see the purpose for those metal rods.

Dean-

Not sure what to tell you, but on my WWL the front grate slides up freely and will go diagonal (in the same plane it started in) sufficiently to come out. Reinstall is the reverse - drop one side into place, then the other.

Are you sure you don;t have a cinder or something jammed in there that's keeping it from starting to lift up? Also, note that it's not reversible, so pay attention taking it out.

I may be wrong, but I think the rods of which you speak are actually holding the contraption together top to bottom.

Steve

Steve,

You're right - I went to the shop and looked at one, and it pops right out. Mine must be longer (deformed) than usual, stopping it from rotating out. I ordered a new one and will have to cut this one out some how. (I have a cutting torch if necessary).

Thanks!

DeanB

Status
Not open for further replies.