Vent cleaning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mepellet

Minister of Fire
Aug 10, 2011
Central ME
My Selkirk DT venting setup is from the back of the stove to the tee and up about 4 feet to a 90 degree elbow then out the side of the house. I'm thinking about getting one of the caps for the bottom of the tee that you can attach your vacuum to so I don't have to keep taking the cap off the bottom. Anyone know how much these cost? What about the brush type? Is this what you would recommend? What about cleaning the portion between the stove and the tee? I think this portion is 3".
Thanks!

Having a standard Tee with a cap and cleaning the 3" from it to the stove is easy. Just use a small Dryer lint brush, or a bottle brush (Baby Bottles), bent on a small angle. Be careful not to damage your fan blades on your combustion blower. . If you take the T out of service and install the vacuum clean-out.. Then I dont know.

DexterDay said:
Having a standard Tee with a cap and cleaning the 3" from it to the stove is easy. Just use a small Dryer lint brush, or a bottle brush (Baby Bottles), bent on a small angle. Be careful not to damage your fan blades on your combustion blower. . If you take the T out of service and install the vacuum clean-out.. Then I dont know.

I don't think adding the vacuum clean-out would take the T out of service. I'm pretty sure the vacuum cleanout is just a replacement cap. https://www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=6542

After doing a few more searches I found that some people are using the linteater system. Looks like an easy way to do cleaning...

GrahamInVa said:
I have the same setup w/ the vacuum cap. It comes off the same way the cap does. It has one screw in it. I got mine on eBay for around $20.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Selkirk-Met...316?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item563409840c

I can't comment on the cleaning since I havn't done it yet.

Thanks for the link! I think I may end up getting this and installing it when I clean the first time. My stove is a corner install so getting to the bottom of the T is a little bit of a pain but can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.