Q&A Vent free gas fireplaces with catalytic converter

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I am looking at vent-free gas fireplaces because I live in a condominium. I would like to know if the models with catalytic converters are safer to use and can they be run for longer periods than the regular vent-free models. I would also appreciate the names of manufacturers that carry catalytic converter models.

Answer:

I don't know if safer is the right word, but they are MUCH cleaner. They put out less than 1/10 the the CO (Carbon Monoxide) that the non-catalytic vent frees. As far as longer periods of time, the moisture issue is still present, so it should still only be about 4-5 hours a day at max. Vermont Castings, Monesson and others make these units.

A new hybrid fireplace by Innovative Hearth at http://www.innohearth.com also features reduced emmissions due to an electric ember bed.

Link: Innovative Hearth Products Web Site

Status
Not open for further replies.