1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Vent question

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by sparke, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparke

sparke Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    What type of vent does a non-pressurized tank need. What is the best way to install it? I am hoping to have a good seal between the lid and the tank... Atmospheric vent?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Nofossil

Nofossil Moderator Emeritus

Loc:
    Addison County, Vermont
    I left no space at all above the water line - my EPDM floats on the water surface, which is maybe 1/2" below the top of the tank. I did connect a pipe that runs out to the boiler room and into a 'sight glass' so that I can see the water level. Hasn't changed in two years. I'll probably open the tank this year just to see what it looks like.
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    One way I've seen is a rubber ball placed on top of an open, vertical pipe. Presumably this allows air to escape, but not be drawn in. You could rig some expansion bladder like an old inner tube up to the vent pipe to keep oxygen out, I would think. Or just leave the vent open.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.