Q&A vented gas logs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

We have been researching gas logs. We live in RI. Have conflicting info. If we put in vented gas logs, should we have the damper clamped open all the time or only when the logs are going. In MA they have to be open but we understand it's fine and safe to not do that. Any clarification would be welcome.

Answer:

Vented logs come with a damper clamp that keeps the damper open a small amount at all times. There is debate as to whether this is for the pilot or for instances when folks turn the logs on and forget to open the damper. I believe that it is the second one. This being so, in my own home I would have no problem closing the damper when the logs were not operating. However, this may go against the manufacturers instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.