Vented No-Spill for chain-oil.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

ewdudley

Minister of Fire
Nov 17, 2009
Cayuga County NY
Turns out No-Spill containers work well for chain oil too, but need to be vented. Half-inch hole, thread valve stem through with light wire, pop into place. Just got a MS2511T with tiny reservoirs, the thumb-press valve control makes it easy not to, you know, spill. The pair of containers packs well in the field kit.
no_spill_vented.jpg

What about putting that valve on the cap of the bar oil bottle?

Reactions: ewdudley
Looks nice. I just take the srench and poke a slit in the foil cap. Works great when it's warm out. Cold, well you have to squeeze a bit.

Reactions: T-roy_ and ewdudley
Liquid detergent bottles work good if you are prone to spilling...

You can use the pop up cap from a dish soap or syrup bottle. Those usually fit on a quart oil bottle, same size and threads.

Transmision/gear oil spouts screw direcly onto 1 gallon bar oil containers (and some other containers, too). I cut the hose to a shorter length and use the hose & black cap combo as a lid to keep dirt out of the yellow nozzle. When it's time for a fill, I pull the entire hose off the yellow nozzle. Yellow part turns to open/close.
1698659985421.png

Last edited:
Fuel cans are so expensive it's cheaper to spill a little oil. I've been lucky on fuel containers, grass cutting services tend to forget to tie them down so I find mine on the side of the road. A few years back Mobil Delvac diesel oil containers had a real nice easy pour spout. I saved a couple of those containers and I use them for my bar oil.

Just poke a small 1/4" hole in the foil seal and use it that way.
I used to do this foil trick, but the trouble is then it takes forever to fill the oil reservoir on larger saws with the same bottle on a cold day. Ever seen the bar oil reservoir on an 064? I'd end up squeezing the bottle and blowing out the foil at some inopportune moment.

I've been following Eman85's mantra of the stuff being cheap enough that I don't mind spilling a bit, but I like this NoSpill mod, as well as the idea to put a spout of one type or another on the jug. I buy both Stihl and Husqvarna bar oils in gallons, so gotta see if they're both the same thread.

The liquid detergent bottle idea is neat, those spouts do look like they could work. But I also admire the way the NoSpill can is size-matched to my fuel can, for easy packing side-by side. Those of us with OCD are suckers for matching things.

Too bad Stens only makes the No-Spill can in red, I'd prefer another color for bar oil.

Reactions: TreePointer
I used to do this foil trick, but the trouble is then it takes forever to fill the oil reservoir on larger saws with the same bottle on a cold day. Ever seen the bar oil reservoir on an 064? I'd end up squeezing the bottle and blowing out the foil at some inopportune moment.

I've been following Eman85's mantra of the stuff being cheap enough that I don't mind spilling a bit, but I like this NoSpill mod, as well as the idea to put a spout of one type or another on the jug. I buy both Stihl and Husqvarna bar oils in gallons, so gotta see if they're both the same thread.

The liquid detergent bottle idea is neat, those spouts do look like they could work. But I also admire the way the NoSpill can is size-matched to my fuel can, for easy packing side-by side. Those of us with OCD are suckers for matching things.

Too bad Stens only makes the No-Spill can in red, I'd prefer another color for bar oil.

Lol. You're such an engineer, designing an overly complex solution to an otherwise simple problem that would just take patience and little skill to solve.

Lol. You're such an engineer, designing an overly complex solution to an otherwise simple problem that would just take patience and little skill to solve.
;lol I'll admit that I'm cut from said cloth, and can go on about it, when idling by a keyboard waiting for a stupid simulation to complete.

But when you put me out in the wood lot with a saw and a 1 gallon jug of bar oil, I just follow Eman85's "spill a little" method. I can go full-caveman, outside the office!

Reactions: ABMax24
I empty my new bar oil one-gallon jugs into an empty one so I only have my jug half full. That way I can get the opening right down to the top of the oil fill opening on a saw before the oil start running out. I really never spill anything when filling from a half full jug.

Reactions: bigealta
I empty my new bar oil one-gallon jugs into an empty one so I only have my jug half full. That way I can get the opening right down to the top of the oil fill opening on a saw before the oil start running out. I really never spill anything when filling from a half full jug.
I do the same, but into an old blue Stihl Winter Formula jug, which I mix with a little diesel to give me a viscosity that flows better in cold weather. I've been running the Husqvarna oil lately, 'cuz it's been a little cheaper than Stihl from my usual supplier. That particular brew is really only good at full-strength down to the mid-20's, below which I grab and use the blue jug.