Q&A Vented or Unvented Gas Logs - How do I Tell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Hi - I have no experience with gas logs, but my son recently bought a home that already had propane gas logs installed. The seller left no manuals behind, he has not been able to get in touch with her, and we can't find a manufacturer's name/model # on the logs. Is there a reliable way we can determine whether they are a vented or unvented model? Thanks.

Answer:

There should be a label attached. If not, you'd have to have someone familiar with the products (like a chimney sweep or stove shop) look at them. If there is a lot of soot on the logs, chances are that they are vented. If they are more than 3-4 years old, they are almost surely vented.

If the logs are easily repositioned and moved around, then they are also most likely vented...same if they have a good-looking yellow flame - another indication of a vented set.

Best to use them with the damper open fully until more is found out.

Status
Not open for further replies.