1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

venting B vent stove question

Post in 'It's a Gas!' started by Lee, Dec 28, 2012.

1. Lee

Lee New Member

I want to vent a Hearthstone B vent natural gas stove in to an existing fireplace chimney ... can I get away with the 4 inch pipe up thru a sealed damper and then 6 feet or so ( more than required 5 ft vertical) up in to a 9 inch square masonry flue liner in excellent condition ... chimney is inside the structure and is about 28 feet high ... would rather not do full flue liner pipe if possible ... will I have ok draft ?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

That wont give you ideal draft. You would be venting a 4" pipe that has 12.56 sq. inches into a flue that has lets say inside it is 7x7, that is 38.47 sq inches. So you would be venting the stove into a flue more than 3x larger than it should be using. I would check online for some chimney liner kits for 4". A 4"x30' liner kit should be fairly cheap. Just spend a few more dollars and do it right the first time. You don't want to have more issues down the road and end up spending more.
    A1Stoves.com and DAKSY like this.
  3. A1Stoves.com

A1Stoves.com Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern CA