venting options headaches

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ebbtide357

Oct 15, 2012
long island new york
just about ready to install this harman accentra that my uncle gave me its in like new condition I am changing the vent pipe now I know everyone has ther own thoughts on this but I want to do it once and thats it. #1 what pipe is the best and should I use tape and silicone on all the connections? #2 should I buy the appliance adapter? #3should I do an OAK? is this needed with a harman?and the biggest one of all in which I am getting the most confused with the dealer by me is telling me to just vent it straight out behind the bushes and just clear out about 18 inches around the bushes and put a cap pointed down that just dont seem right to me I was going to go out than put a cleanout tee and go up about 4 feet above the hedge row than cap or go with black pipe inside and go up 3-4 foot than out about a foot and cap I am counting on you guys for some help here as its time for me to go to the cabin hunting and I want to get this install done. Thanks in advance Tom p.s. also a good company to buy the pipe and related parts from would be great==c

If you do a search, there is a thread about a new product made by Simpson for their pipe....it's an appliance adapter specifically made for a Harman. It seems they make their exhaust pipe a slightly different dia. than standard, and regular pellet pipe adapter doesn't fit correctly.

As for the OAK, this is straight from your Harman owners manual: "Connection to outside air is strongly recommended."

I agree with YOUR venting idea....up & out, or vice versa. The 4' rise helps with airflow, especially in the event of a power outage.

Eric at Kinsman stove is a member here and a great guy to work with. he will also give Hearth.com members a discount. He is also a Harman dealer, so he should be able to get that special Harman appliance adapter, since he's also a Simpson dealer. www.kinsmanstoves.com Call him at the Brookfield store (and tell him Imac man says Hi).

Another good company is Dynamite Buys: www.dynamitebuys.com/store/cart.php?m=product_list&c=45

Status
Not open for further replies.