venting question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joedunlevy

Hearth Supporter
Mar 14, 2010
Nova Scotia
"I am think about replacing my wood stove with pellet stove. My question is can I vent the pellet stove into an existing 7" superchimney 2100. The chimney is inside the house and is 15' long from ceiling to cap. Or do I have to run a seperate pellet pipe up the center of the superchimney. Thank You.

Hey Joe

Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people here with good info. A few strange brews will keep it fun as well !!!!! :lol:

No experience in what you are looking for, but I'm sure that someone who has will chime in !!!!!

Good Luck

Geno

joedunlevy said:
"I am think about replacing my wood stove with pellet stove. My question is can I vent the pellet stove into an existing 7" superchimney 2100. The chimney is inside the house and is 15' long from ceiling to cap. Or do I have to run a seperate pellet pipe up the center of the superchimney. Thank You.

You can run your pellet vent a foot or so into the Class A & seal
the area between the ID of the Class A & the OD of the pellet vent,
but the fly ash that comes out of the PV will build up inside the Class A.
In order to clean it, you'll probably have to take stuff apart & the mess
will be hard to contain...
Your best bet is to run the 3" PV into the Class A, increase to 4" & run a
Stainless Steel liner all the way to the cap.

Hello

I did something very similar.

I replaced my Vermont Castings Wood/Coal stove connected to my house's original center 8" square tiled lined chimney that is approx 25 foot high.
I purchased a larger pellet stove that used 4" pellet pipe and ran it into the 8" chimney hole used by the old wood stove using a 8" to 4" metal reducer. Because the chimney is less that 30 feet high and an OAK (Outside Air Kit) is used on the pellet stove, it works great!! The chimney has a cleanout so I can vac up the pellet ash with no issues.

Hope this helps.

Don

Attachments

• FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    FinalPelStovePicScaled2.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 326
I replaced a woodstove with a pellet stove in summer '08. I kept the top 15' of the 8" Metalbestos pipe, and used an adaptor to connect to the 4" pellet pipe. been running this for 2 winters now....no issues, and good draft.

Attachments

• Exhaust-1.jpg
    Exhaust-1.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 320
joedunlevy said:

Thats exactly the way mine is done. My 7" is 2100 super chimney is even longer , about 22 ' , well insulated , and it draws exceptionally good. I think it would be redundant and a waste of money to line it and make it smaller.

Thanks for the help guys. I'm thinking about getting a Harman P4300 and it would be very convenient to go into the 7" pipe. I could put a cleanout at the bottom of the superchimney to clean any ash that builds up.

Adapted my Jamestown J1000 to a 7" stove pipe just as you are hoping. Here are some click-able thumbs:

th_DSCF2043.jpg
th_DSCF2044.jpg
th_DSCF2044zoom.jpg

To go from 7" to 3" you will need a 7 to 6 reducer and then a standard 6 to 3 adapter.

DAKSY said:
joedunlevy said:

You can run your pellet vent a foot or so into the Class A & seal
the area between the ID of the Class A & the OD of the pellet vent,
but the fly ash that comes out of the PV will build up inside the Class A.
In order to clean it, you'll probably have to take stuff apart & the mess
will be hard to contain...
Your best bet is to run the 3" PV into the Class A, increase to 4" & run a
Stainless Steel liner all the way to the cap.

+1
many makers will require conversion to 4" for that much vertical.
easier to clean with full reline

Status
Not open for further replies.