Venting thru exisiting MetalBestos Chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Curve

Oct 13, 2012
Central, MA
I am ready to install my new VistaFlame VF-55-FS. I am replacing an old Vermont Castings Defiant Wood Stove. Last year I installed a new 8" MetalBestos Chimney. The venting off my new VistaFlame is 4". Can I use a 4" to 8" adapter and vent directly out into my 8" MetalBestos Chimney? My local dealer says no...I should either take the chimney down and vent directly out with 4" pipe. Or if I want to use my 8" MetalBestos Chimney, I need to send 4" pipe down this chimney to connect to the stove at 4".
What are your thoughts?

I am ready to install my new VistaFlame VF-55-FS. I am replacing an old Vermont Castings Defiant Wood Stove. Last year I installed a new 8" MetalBestos Chimney. The venting off my new VistaFlame is 4". Can I use a 4" to 8" adapter and vent directly out into my 8" MetalBestos Chimney? My local dealer says no...I should either take the chimney down and vent directly out with 4" pipe. Or if I want to use my 8" MetalBestos Chimney, I need to send 4" pipe down this chimney to connect to the stove at 4".
What are your thoughts?
You will get a number of opinions both ways on this as this question does come up from time to time. I have vented my stoves through a 3" to 6" to 8" adapter into my existing chimney (which had a VC wood stove previously) for over 17 years. No issues, ever.

I say go for it as long as you can source the proper adapters to go from 4" to 8".

My stove ( with 6ft of 4" vent) goes into a 7" metalbestos chimney (21 ft long)and the draw excellent.

Thanks for the feedback....I feel a lot more comfortable now. I was not very impressed with this local dealer, and do not think I will return to their store again. I have another store a little further away that has the adapter from 4" to 8". I will probably have about 5ft of the 4" vent before going into the 8" MetalBestos.
Thanks again!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.