Venting Vista Flame into existing 5" double walled chimney ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rscottski

Oct 23, 2013
Enfield, NH
The title says it all folks. My ignorance has just been revealed. I currently have a propane Empire RH-65 heater in my living room which is capable of producing 65,000 BTU while simultaneously chugging Propane by the gallon and $$$ out of my wallet.

If the gas heater is capable of producing that kind of heat then what problems would I have venting a pellet stove directly into that existing chimney. The double walled metal chimney goes through the wall thimble then up the side of the house about 20' inside a decorative a wood enclosure. It has a rain cap but I don't know which type.

The challenge I am having is the outside diameter of the gas chimney is 5". I see 3" to 6" converters everywhere but not 3' to 5" converters ??

What problems would I have with this set up. The stove shop recommended against doing this because ??? They want to sell me one of their chimneys ??

Any input is appreciated the stove I am thinking of putting in is a Vista Flame VF-55. The manual says it's ok to vent into a standard chimney but highly recommends an outside intake air source for consistent draw.

Thanks for the help.

the gas vent is most likely b-vent and is not allowed to be used it is made out of aluminum and is not suitable for use with a solid fuel burning appliance. You need to replace all the pipe

was the propane setup aways propane? i thought mine was but then i did some digging and my insert is actually a wood burner that a gas log set (propane) was put into, making my venting a-vent, just a thought, but if it is b-vent you are stuck.

Could a Pellet specific flex liner be snaked inside the existing 5" pipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.