Vermiculite replacement

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Fieryabyss

Nov 1, 2023
Washington
New and first time posting so forgive my ignorance.
Im running a Morso 5660 B. Finally got an ash vac and was able to give it the deep clean it deserved only to discovery broken and cracked bricks.
Ive looked all over and most sets are either super expensive ($600+) or unavailable stateside. I have found Ceramic fiber boards in the right thickness but wasnt sure if i need to stick with the vermiculite bricks, or if its safe to switch to CFB do i need to replace all my bricks. For clarification my back and both bottom bricks are the ones showing significant damage.

Yes, they are expensive. It pays to load the firebox with care. These areas can get abused if logs are tossed into a hot fireplace.

How thick are the panels? Can you provide a link to the product?

Of the two, the vermiculite panel will be stronger. The fiberboard won't stand up to this application. An option for the floor might be to use pumice firebricks with some pieces cut to fit.
Amazon product ASIN B00XC1YCTY

Back ordered but says only 2 weeks.

Reactions: begreen

Back ordered but says only 2 weeks.
Best option!