Vermont Casting Blue Encore c.1991

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Martiques

Aug 17, 2022
Pittsfield, Mass.
I am planning on selling my home. When we purchased the house in 1992, there was already the blue Encore model installed in the basement playroom. We have never used this stove in the 30 years we have been here, and it’s in excellent condition. The previous owner may have, but the basement was finished in 1991, just before they moved away.
My realtor has told me to try to sell the stove before listing the house, since it may not impress potential buyers. Where do I start? A buyer would have to cart it away and cap the brick hole. Is there a site where I should try to sell this? Ebay doesn’t look like a good fit.
Thanks for any advice!

419571FD-D444-43F2-877D-6A4D892AF97C.jpeg

I’d list it as an appliance. I don’t see how someone would not choose it your house because it has a stove they don’t want to use. I would not want to haul it out of the basement. I might see if I sewers could come clean/inspect it. A buyer whose has an inspection and finds fault with it it could ask you to cover repairs. But timeline for that might be tough. I see the realtors point as it being an unknown liability.

Do you think it's worth some feedback from potential buyers? I see it as a plus
It's possible that even if the potential buyers didn't want it, they may want it for selling themselves. By next month, wood stoves will be commanding higher prices.

Reactions: fbelec
It's possible that even if the potential buyers didn't want it, they may want it for selling themselves. By next month, wood stoves will be commanding higher prices.
especially at these oil and gas prices

Oh yeah, I think we are going to see some record prices on used stoves in the next couple months.

Reactions: fbelec