Vermont Casting Winter Warm Catalyst Fireback Fit

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 11, 2018
Vermont
I decided to replace all the gaskets on my VC Winter Warm Small fireplace insert and one thing led to another. Realized the Refractory Assembly was toast and got a replacement. In the process of replacing that, among other things, found that the Damper Housing was warped on one edge (probably from over firing sometimes in the > 16 years I've had the unit). Have a replacement on the way for that, but did put things back together for now.

Trouble is that the Catalyst Fireback won't seem to go back all the way (sit snuggly) as before. almost as though the new Refractory Assembly is proud (but I don't think it is). There were two probes on the back of the old Refractory Assembly (one for the Condar temp probe which went through a hole in the old assembly, and does so now in the new Assembly). I don't know what the second probe is for, and it didn't protrude through the back of the old Assembly. Don't know if this is interfering, or if the two "ridges" on the back of the Fireback are simply keeping the Fireback from sliding back all the way. I can't seem to get it back to where it needs to be. It is clearing the Damper Housing, I'm pretty sure... something is interfering right behind the middle of the Fireback.

Any advice appreciated. I may need to order a new Fireback and Throat Hood as well... there pretty fried.

Thank you.

I’m guessing that the fireback is also warped, if you force it in there it will bust the combustion box. As you are finding out, these stoves are very parts heavy, often times aren’t worth the expense to repair them.

Yes, I am finding that. I replaced the blowers a few years ago... expensive. My partner thinks I should just replace the whole unit... She thinks the blowers are just too loud. Also there are some other design flaws that are driving me crazy (the front loading can dump ash, etc in front of the unit when reloading wood, and the blower does a "nice job" of distributing ash from in front of the unit all over the room). May replace the fired back (it's less than a new stove)... but that will be the end of repair attempts. The refractory was really expensive!

Keep an eye out for used inserts. I often see high end units for sale pretty cheap.