Vermont Castings 2-in-1 Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
  • Super Cedar firestarters 30% discount Use code Hearth2024 Click here
Status
Not open for further replies.

leeave96

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Apr 22, 2010
Western VA
I was reading a bit today about the new 2-in-1 VC Defiant and Encore woodstoves today and have a question.

How do you change from cat to secondary burn modes?

When I read the manual for the stove, there are instructions for the damper - bypass, putting smoke up the chimney and non-bypass, putting the smoke through the cat and/or the secondary burn.

Is the cat and secondary burn in the same air path? Can they both operate at the same time? For example, if you are burning higher temps, would the secondaries light-off (along with the cat), but at lower temps, the cat would fire off and the secondaries would go out? Is there some lever that diverts the air either into the cat or secondary or bypass - thereby having 3 positions?

Just courious how this works.

Also, does the automatic thermostat damper gizmo work for either cat or secondary burns or both?

Thanks,
Bill

There was a good video about this here this past winter. I'm sure if you do a search for 2 in 1 you'll find it.

I believe you must physically remove the combustor. Doing it with no fire going is suggested (unless you want to become a smoker).

Yup, cat in for cat burn, cat out for secondary burn. The auto thermostat works in either mode.

It's a 2ndry combustion chamber that has a slot for a CAT. The CAT in the 2n1's is about 1/2 the thickness of a typical VC cat. There is a 2ndry air going into the burn chamber all the time, the front refractory removes to be able to add/remove the CAT. The CAT basically sits in the exhaust path before it gets to the secondary air burn if you have it in. Gives better "scrubbing" of the exhaust for longer/larger burns, but smaller/ shorter burn are about the same, CAT in or out.

Status
Not open for further replies.