1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Vermont Castings Defiant wood stove, ever heard of it?

Post in 'Vermont Castings & CDW Dutchwest older Models' started by gdk84, Feb 28, 2011.

1. gdk84

gdk84 Member

Loc:
    New England
    Hello all, downstairs in my basement i have a Vermont Castings Defiant stove. It is not used and has been there since i bought the house. It was hooked to the same chimney as the furnace (as it was in the old days). The tag says safety inspection was 1980. It is a beast 8" flue and HUGE firebox. It has automatic draft control with the little flipper hooked to a a small piece of wire rope that closes as the stove temp increases. Neighbor says it used to heat the entire house no problem, and i dont doubt it! Anyone still running this jewel!!??

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrowningBAR

BrowningBAR Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Doylestown, PA

Yes, there are a few that run an old Defiant. I run a Vigilant which is a little smaller than the Defiant.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    This is the stove that established Vermont Casting. It's a very well known heater. There are quite a few of these stoves still in service today. It's an American classic.
  4. gdk84

gdk84 Member

Loc:
    New England
    Thanks for the info guys! I figured id post it here since i dont know much about it. I do however need to get it out of the basement. I was thinking scraping it out, it does need some work.
  5. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I'd put it on craigslist for a week or two. Depending on the condition, it could bring in a hundred or two.
  6. defiant3

defiant3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    No. NH
    Defiant heats my house in Northern N.H., sees 4-5 cords per year. I usually avoid cliches like the plague, but they don't make 'em like that anymore!
  7. defiant3

Loc:
    No. NH
    It's worth "a hundred or two" to me, and depending on where you are, I may come fetch it.
  8. gdk84

gdk84 Member

Loc:
    New England
    I may craiglist it i suppose that may be a good idea... would be nice to see someone put it too good use than to melt it down. As they dont make em' like they used too!

defiant3, I live in southern york county in maine. About 20 mins from Rochester NH.
  9. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Open the front doors and look at the fireback ,it should have a pattern cast in it with a date. If is flat from side to side with no cracks, the stove is worth a lot more than if the fireback is warped and cracked. If the fireback has a seam running side to side then its a two price fire back which is also worth more (if not warped or cracked). Depdending upon condition of stove, they get from $100 to $400. Given the increase in oil prices, I expect the prices may be on the high end later in the summer. If the fireback is damaged, expect a lot of "tire kickers" as they will come to llok a the stove and then decide they dont want it as the fireback is gone.
  10. Fsappo

Fsappo Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central NY
    If no cracks and in good shape that stove should fetch $500 bucks or so easily. Oil is way up, tax credit is much less now, both those things will up the value on used stoves. If the fireback is cracked, $100 is a fair price.
  11. webbie

webbie Seasoned Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Western Mass.
    Thar she is!
    Manual and other info is in the wiki if anyone wants to search.
    LOTS of info about proper burning here on the forums - many good threads over the years!

Attached Files:

12. 94ranger55

94ranger55 Member

Loc:
    New Hampshire SeaCoast
    I am in the portsmouth nh area.....if the stove is in good shape PM me ...Iam interested. Thanks
  13. remkel

remkel Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southwest NH
    Ah, the stove I grew up with- was actually in my bedroom (the old family room) after my parents put an addition on the house. Needless to say, i was always warm when i went to bed. It is still heating my parents house after 31 years.
  14. mywaynow

mywaynow Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northeast
    I am about to go feed the old Defiant right now. This is a great stove and worth rebuilding to use. Throws enough to heat my house, a cape.
  15. warmsand

warmsand New Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    I am happy to see this post! I am currently negotiating on a Defiant made in 1980 or 1981 (should be confirmed soon). The price listed is $500. I will check for cracking and warping when I check it out. Is there anything else I should check on?

However, I am concerned that it will not work in my home without some serious changes and have not been able to find a manual to check the specs. I am currently running a Breckwell Big E Pellet Stove into a round 6" clay lined flue. The entry point is surrounded by plaster and I'm using a Durock/cinderblock/Durock hearth (not the prettiest, I know). This installation is up to code for a pellet stove but I am concerned it isn't for a cast iron wood stove. What will I need to do to make sure the installation is up to code? I have a 1800 sqft two story farm house built in 1912.

All input is welcome!
  16. begreen

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
  17. warmsand

warmsand New Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Ok, the seller sent me pictures of the fireback. Looks okay. It's from 1975. My liner is 6 inch. I don't have a thimble. The liner comes right out to the wall. I can't just go from 8 inches to 6 inches using an adapter?
  18. defiant3

Loc:
    No. NH
    Yes, but it's a poor idea. A very poor idea, indeed.
  19. peakbagger

peakbagger Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern NH
    Unless you have an exceptional flue configuration, you most likely will be posting in a month or so, about all the problems you are having getting the stove to start drawing and wondering why the stove goes out when you engage the secondary damper. With a 6" flue you really need to look for a smaller stove like a vigilant or resolute.

If you insist on buying the defiant, very dry wood (kiln dried or split and under cover for a year minimum (2 if you are burning oak) or possibly bio bricks may limit issues.
  20. VCBurner

VCBurner Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Templeton, MA
    Neither Defiant nor Vigilant are supposed to be vented with 6". An Encore can be converted to 6" with an optional flue adaptor. I'd pass on the Defiant for $500 anyway, regardless of the very probable flue issue!
  21. warmsand

warmsand New Member

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    Thanks for the feedback, guys! I'll keep looking for another stove better suited for my application.
  22. JCMAC

JCMAC New Member

Loc:
    Saratoga NY
    I just posted on buying a new stove and replacing my defiant. Mines an 1982 and the firebrick backing is in good shape (no cracks). I have the owners manual. Problem I'm having is it EATS firewood. Really hadn't thought about what I was going to do with it. Probably woulda put it in the corner until I was sure the new one heated as well lol. If anyone's interested in coming to get her I'm willing to talk.
  23. Slimhere

Slimhere New Member

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie
    Did you ever get rid of your stove, I agree that they eat a ton of wood, but they will eat any old wood. Is your stove top flute, or back flute? I can only use a back flute without doing chimney work which isn't going to happen. My wife graduated Saratoga HS, so I know the area.
  24. claydogg84

claydogg84 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Salt Point, NY
    Slimhere, my defiant may be for sale in a couple weeks if you're looking for one. Rear exit.
  25. Ram 1500 with an axe...

Ram 1500 with an axe... Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    Long live the VC....