Vermont castings Encore 2040-Cat-C

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Sunshineseeker

Oct 21, 2023
Grand Rapids
I’m thinking about purchasing a Vermont Castings Encore 2040-Cat-C. I’m wondering if those who have one like theirs or not. It is used, and has not been overheated. Manufacturers in 2020. Thanks for your input!!

So the 2040 cat c is one of the newer stoves. I have the 2040 2n1. The new stoves are certainly more durable then the ones of 20 years ago. I fined the stove pretty easy to work on if needed. My stove has been the sole heat source for years now. Saving big dollars on heating cost.

You should probably download the installation guidelines to make sure you will be able to meet the chimney requirements.

It goes without saying if your going to purchase any stove.. You should already have dry wood

I’m thinking about purchasing a Vermont Castings Encore 2040-Cat-C. I’m wondering if those who have one like theirs or not. It is used, and has not been overheated. Manufacturers in 2020. Thanks for your input!!
I like mine. Works great, effective heater. Learning curve to get it to run right in the beginning but once figured out it's been great.

I went right it and made it primary heater and it'll pay for itself in year 2. Great investment

They are great looking stoves and once you get the operation down you'll love it. Are you new to wood burners?

I have an intrepid Vermont castings stove now. I love the look but it burns wood sooo quickly! I also would like to see more flame.
I am also considering the Jotul F 500. Which stove would all you experts recommend?

I've only used the Encore. In terms of flame I see flame when I am starting up. When my stove is loaded and air turned down for a slow burn I do not see much flame with a stuffed forebox. Doesn't bother me. It's job is to heat my house which is does well.

I have an intrepid Vermont castings stove now. I love the look but it burns wood sooo quickly! I also would like to see more flame.
I am also considering the Jotul F 500. Which stove would all you experts recommend?

So the intrepid is super small with a 1 3 cuft box and like a 6hr burn time. Any larger stove will pretty much improve your burn time and fire viewing. That being said The F500 is more like a hybrid similar to the lopi rockport and with out the bypass.. The encore has a 2.3 cuft box and has a pretty good burn time. The one thing you can do with the intrepid is to put thicker logs in because the more wood you put in the longer the burn. I split some of my wood square and rectangle to really pack the box.

Jotul is a good company no doubt.. The F500 v3 is a newer stove

There are plenty of people happy with VC and if your installation is good you shouldn't have any problems..

I am also considering a VT Encore purchasing new and I keep seeing such mixed reviews. From what I understand the older ones are the problem and the new ones seem to be better, can anyone confirm this?

I am also considering a VT Encore purchasing new and I keep seeing such mixed reviews. From what I understand the older ones are the problem and the new ones seem to be better, can anyone confirm this?

The VC Encore is a great heater. Many first timers struggle, even with other brands. Look at the other threads right now. To avoid issues with your stove you need 1 good draft.. this means reading the manual and making sure your going to meet the requirements for draft.. 2... is dry wood.. any stove is going to need this.. no matter what brand

The older stove were definitely not as durable. There were also stove that didn't perform well at all. The newer stoves are certainly more durable.. the encore is a fantastic heater with a great fire view.. The encore is the 2nd largest stove in the VC lineup with a great burn time

Mine is great, I dont have many issues. Someone who has issues is not going to have the same opinion.

What are you trying to do with it? Weekend warrior? Primary heat?

I'd suggest doing a lot of reading here and make sure you have the setup properly figured out to have good draft. Seems to be the biggest issue for these stoves. Because they downdraft they require a lot of draft.

I’m using it as secondary heat. I have a heating system but my downstairs has lots of windows and in order to get it warm like I prefer the stove is important. I already have a stove but it’s not a great stove so this would be a replacement.
I’m pretty sure my draft is good because when it was originally a fire place the draft was great. Is that a good indicator?
Wood is always an issue especially right now because the seasoned wood is wetter than usual so I’m going to need to bring some wood inside earlier than I’d like in order to dry it faster.

I have one and love it! Fire it today for first time this season and worked great!

IMG_3236.jpeg

I’m using it as secondary heat. I have a heating system but my downstairs has lots of windows and in order to get it warm like I prefer the stove is important. I already have a stove but it’s not a great stove so this would be a replacement.
I’m pretty sure my draft is good because when it was originally a fire place the draft was great. Is that a good indicator?
Wood is always an issue especially right now because the seasoned wood is wetter than usual so I’m going to need to bring some wood inside earlier than I’d like in order to dry it faster.
Not sure on the draft piece if it correlates or not.

It's certainly a great looking stove. For reference the Encore heats my entire 2500 Sq ft house. I run a blower on the back because it's in a fireplace. But it produces and moves some serious heat

Not sure on the draft piece if it correlates or not.

It's certainly a great looking stove. For reference the Encore heats my entire 2500 Sq ft house. I run a blower on the back because it's in a fireplace. But it produces and moves some serious heat
Would you mind posting a picture of your setup? Ours will be in a fireplace too. And the blower please 🙏. Thank you so much!!

Would you mind posting a picture of your setup? Ours will be in a fireplace too. And the blower please 🙏. Thank you so much!!
Here's the stove. That's the best picture I have of the back, blower is on the bottom. And it's too hot to go behind right now. 6 in flex pipe straight up the chimney.

20231113_174209.jpg 20221020_123304.jpg

Reactions: Woodsplitter67
Thank you so much!! You are so helpful. This is exactly the setup we are looking to do in our fireplace.
You will 100% want to go digital cat thermometer because you won't be able to get behind to read the bi-metal one. Easy install. Look for the thread on here with the instructions.

Thank you so much!! You are so helpful. This is exactly the setup we are looking to do in our fireplace.
You really really need to read more about stoves in this forums. There are many that will steer you away from vermont castings. VC have a totally different design than most stoves. You have asked for peoples opinions on a stove brand in a stove brand forums, so your responses are going to be super biased. It's like going to a sports teams forum and asking if they are a good team to follow, what is the most likely response you are going to hear?

You really really need to read more about stoves in this forums. There are many that will steer you away from vermont castings. VC have a totally different design than most stoves. You have asked for peoples opinions on a stove brand in a stove brand forums, so your responses are going to be super biased. It's like going to a sports teams forum and asking if they are a good team to follow, what is the most likely response you are going to hear?
Does it really matter? If you ask the question generally BK owners will say go BK, VC to VC and so on.

Better way to think about it is what are you trying to accomplish? Do I like the way this looks cause it's a big investment I will have to look at every day? How much work and time do I want to spend on the stove? Who is going to be running the stove? I don't think asking generally what brand is the best gets you anywhere.

it's like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better

Does it really matter? If you ask the question generally BK owners will say go BK, VC to VC and so on.

Better way to think about it is what are you trying to accomplish? Do I like the way this looks cause it's a big investment I will have to look at every day? How much work and time do I want to spend on the stove? Who is going to be running the stove? I don't think asking generally what brand is the best gets you anywhere.

it's like asking if Coke or Pepsi is better
I think it wise to advise people to look at other stoves, and do their own due diligence. There are WAY too many people that will simply look for any sort of confirmation bias to base their already made up minds. It's up to those that have experience with a brand to properly spell out the pros/cons, rather than cheerleading the pros only.

Pepsi, if at home in a can or bottle.
Coke at a movie theater or restaurant from the fountain.

I think it wise to advise people to look at other stoves, and do their own due diligence. There are WAY too many people that will simply look for any sort of confirmation bias to base their already made up minds. It's up to those that have experience with a brand to properly spell out the pros/cons, rather than cheerleading the pros only.

Pepsi, if at home in a can or bottle.
Coke at a movie theater or restaurant from the fountain.

Dude.. your such a tool.. Look at ALL of the othere forums..

EVERY brand is having complaints about stoves not running properly.. Below are just a couple from the lopi forum only.. Im not Investing too much time into this.

People have issues with every stove.. many need parts .. baffle.. blankets.. gaskets.. catalyst.. otheres dont have enough draft others to much. Just because YOU STRUGGLE WITH YOUR STOVE and cant figure it out doesn't mean that other's are grouped into your category.. Many here have given there HONEST opinion on the stove they have.

Sell your stove.. wood burning .. its just not for you

Just to be upfront to the people who read this.. Im not bashing lopi.. they are a good stove and I was considering on purchasing one.

The poing being that every manufacturer has problems.. and its upto the consumer to make sure the Installation is correct.. Many issues people have is with the actual setup

Screenshot_20231114-160916_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20231114-160824_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20231114-160802_Samsung Internet.jpg Screenshot_20231114-160745_Samsung Internet.jpg

Dude.. your such a tool.. Look at ALL of the othere forums..

EVERY brand is having complaints about stoves not running properly.. Below are just a couple from the lopi forum only.. Im not Investing too much time into this.

People have issues with every stove.. many need parts .. baffle.. blankets.. gaskets.. catalyst.. otheres dont have enough draft others to much. Just because YOU STRUGGLE WITH YOUR STOVE and cant figure it out doesn't mean that other's are grouped into your category.. Many here have given there HONEST opinion on the stove they have.

Sell your stove.. wood burning .. its just not for you

Just to be upfront to the people who read this.. Im not bashing lopi.. they are a good stove and I was considering on purchasing one.

The poing being that every manufacturer has problems.. and its upto the consumer to make sure the Installation is correct.. Many issues people have is with the actual setup

View attachment 318705 View attachment 318706 View attachment 318707 View attachment 318708
Get a life little stalker troll. There are many on here that would never touch a Vermont Castings with a ten foot pole. I dont see you stalking them. Serious, buzz off. Hit the ignore button if you don't like my opinions. Or dont, and I'll reciprocate.

TO those looking at VC. They are absolutely much better options than VC. Had I known, I would have picked something else. It's not a me problem. Im quite capable of running my stove, but the learning curve and allowing others to operate it like an appliance (like most other stoves) just doesn't exist. Period. Read the forums, call around to dealers that sell both VC's and other stoves, and those that dont, and ask their opinion of VC stoves. Dont trust two internet trolls.

Again.. your a tool.. why would I not recommend a product.. THAT IM NOT HAVING ANY ISSUES WITH. @JohnDaileyNH isn't have an issue with his.. as well as others.. so if none of us are having problems.. why wouldn't we..

Your stove is to big for the area.. Your setup is poor, and you cant figure it out even though many here have tried to help you.. including myself.. Just move on man .. its mind over matter.. I dont mind because .. well you dont matter.. keep the name calling.. its all you got.. nothing ever intelligent comes from you .

Nobody here said its the best stove on the planet.. its definitely a good heater.. burns clean and burs low

Maybe a pellet stove is more for you..