Vermont Castings Encore... does the CO2 go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

sgkubrak

Sep 6, 2023
Virgina
Hi all, I've been looking for hours and can't find a solution. I just got the encore, and although I've used wood stoves my whole life, I've never used one with a catalyst. I understand how all of it works, but I don't get something: when I get it to catalytic burn, and have the bypass damper closed, where does the CO2 that is the byproduct of the catalyst actually go? With the damper closed the flue is cut off no? Does that CO2 and water just flow back into the room or is it getting out to the flue? There are no diagrams that show it. I added an image, a very easy-to-understand one as well, but it is not the Encore. Does anyone know of one for the encore? Or can anyone draw one? Apologies if it's been answered and I can't find it. Thanks!

1_yjocI4fBWAWOElEkYqj7vQ.png

found it. the outflow is under and behind the catalyst. kind of like the pipe at the bottom of a toilet.
When the bypass is closed everything goes through the cat and out the chimney