Vermont Castings EWF36 insert - catalyst and wifi thermocouple help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Lscardsfan

Feb 6, 2019
Kentucky
Hello! I've been reading on this site for a while trying to further understand what I have in my home and I think I'm ready to ask some specific questions! A bit of background...
Purchased home with Vermont castings ewf36a wood stove insert. The stove is located in the basement surrounded by brick hearth and full chimney all the way above second story. For roughly two years I have been slowly using it very intermittently trying to learn while being safe. After burning roughly 10-15 fires over that time frame I think I have a fairly decent grasp on functions and best practices. My questions are related to the ability to further understand temps near the catalyst and any other area of importance for monitoring and efficiency. Right now I have a mechanical thermometer on the front of the insert above the glass. I aim for a ghost flame type fire, with the outside air control mostly shut and the damper mostly shut. I learned recently through disassembly and cleaning that I should be closing the damper when catalyst is activated to burn as efficient as possible I hadn't done this previously out of fear (and the stove huffed one time like the movie backdraft starving for air)!
Here's my questions...
1. I would like to have a monitor with thermocouples in the insert to help with when things are at proper temperature. I have seen these...
https://www.thermoworks.com/ThermaData-WiFi-Type-K
https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=441
What thermocouples do I need? Link? I do not see a spot to insert near the catalyst. Does this unit require a custom hole? What other areas/temperatures should I monitor? I don't think I can access flue.
2. Are there other ways to know for sure that the catalyst is active and at optimal temperature? I'm asking because maybe I don't have confidence in the outside thermometer which could just be my ignorance.

I burned over night during the polar vortex and had anxiety the whole night! Look forward to the responses and advice.