Vermont castings insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cold Cat

Dec 15, 2013
Fombell Pa
I'm thinking of buying this and wanted to get some opinions on it. I'm new to wood burners and this is the best place to get advice,
Thanks

Vermont Castings WinterWarm Fireplace Insert - $700
< 1 of 2 >
01515_iRSalvoEI1S_600x450.jpg

00W0W_dP8h2CLgGSm_600x450.jpg

condition: good size / dimensions: Front 41

FOR SALE - Used Vermont Castings WinterWarm Fireplace Insert. Good shape. Weight 840 lbs. Currently front facing is disassembled. Maximum heat output - 50,000 BTU/hr. Average heating capacity 750-1,500 sq, ft.

I would pass on this for sure. These units are very complicated and expensive to work on. They eat parts!
It weighs nowhere near 840lbs! Maybe 340.

I would pass on this for sure. These units are very complicated and expensive to work on. They eat parts!
It weighs nowhere near 840lbs! Maybe 340.

Thanks for the reply, Im glad I can use this site for info.. It's great. There are so many different units to choose from and I want to do it right the first time, just not sure what to go with. Cat or no cat, double or single jacket. I need one that blows good heat, not just warm air.
Thanks again

I was not hearing good things about VC long before I found this site. My sister has gone thru hell with 2 of them and my local shop told me not to bother with them.

Any insert would be better than a winter warm in my opinion. Take every maintainance issue you've ever heard of a Vermont casting having, and compound it!

I am not sure if you made a decision yet. I have a VC Montpelier insert. I installed it about 18 months ago. I am very pleased with it and have had no issues other than just learning about burning wood for optimal performance. I have 2 neighbors with the same unit and another neighbor with a larger unit(I think it is a Merrimack). I have not heard them complain about their units and they have not had problems with them. We have a great installer in our area so maybe that also helps. The large window is a big plus.

Good to hear that the Montpelier is doing well for you. This is a newer generation insert with a conventional secondary tube design. It should be much more trouble-free than the old WinterWarm.

Status
Not open for further replies.