vermont castings montpelier insert - efficiency rating

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ledwards

Hearth Supporter
Aug 19, 2009
WNC
Anybody know the efficiency rating % for the VC Montpelier - I can't find it anywhere. Anybody have this insert or know much about it? Much thanks.

at least 75%, as it qualifies for the tax credit.. we sell and install them, what would you like to know?

Well, all of the reviews I have read (on this site and others) are that it is nice to look at buts heats poorly. 1)What is your opinion of this stove? 2) Why is is not tested for efficiency (make me think VCwould not like the results..)?

Im in NYC and it keeped my home 70s first floor, 68ish second. 3 bedroom tudor insulated, old windows. I like the insert used it all last winter! I went threw about 700 gallons of oil in the past. Last winter 150 so I would say its heats sufficent for NYC weather!

oh yeah my wood is properly seasoned for at least a year and split under 4"

I agree they do not seem to get very good reviews, but I'm very pleased with mine. My wood is also as allhandsworking keeps his. Most pics of Montpelier inserts I see happen to look like they burn wood not properly seasoned or do not burn hot enough. My glass stays very clean. In the pics I see, the glass usually looks awfull.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread, but allhandsworking, how many cords did you go through for a heating season?

Steve

YZ I would say about 2-3cords. I will have a better estamite next year due to the fact that I scronged my wood last year! I used two standing dead trees and alot of curb side wood! It probably wasnt the best quality wet/rot. Over the spring and summer a was more choosy. I have about a cord of bone dry oak and about 2 cords seasoned 1 year. I think this will get me threw the winter. I have about a cord of Oak split and stacked for next year also. It is a huge difference using good seasoned wood. On start up I crack the door for about 30 minutes. This really gets it going. Once astablished I run the air intack almost closed to closed! I also stack one or two splits in front of the hearth to warm them up! It makes the house smell like pumpkin pie! When I sweped the chimney I had maybe two cups of creosote so the stove really is clean burning! With better quality wood this season I may skip a sweep next spring! I never see any smoke coming from chim. Only on strt up! No complants from neighboors about smell. They thought I was going to smoke them out! I try not to tell too many people about this wood burning thing. Although most people dont want to do the work involved! I have to friends that buy cordwood. Its really not that much work scrounging. 1/3 cord here 1/2 cord there. I split for about 20 minutes a week and before you now it my wife is telling me "PLEASE NO MORE WOOD PAUL BUNNION" Look me up if you have any Questions!

allhandsworking, thank you for the reply. I plan on burning evenings and through the weekends. If really cold, I'll burn 24hr through the week. I was expecting about 2 cord or so, so your usage is right about or a little less than I expected. My wood is also very well seasoned. I don't need to leave the door cracked at all. Just light it with air wide open. Within a half hour or so the air is completely closed all the way. You may do even better yourself this year with your wood quality up. Thanks again.

To the original poster, as you can tell we like our units, but there are many good stoves to choosse from. Please let us know what you decide. I'm sure you'll like whatever you get if you listen to all the good advice on hearth.com.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.