Vermont Castings Montpelier Manual - Can you spot the wacky math?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

oconnor

Minister of Fire
Nov 20, 2005
Nova Scotia
I was answering a different post and came across these numbers in the Montpelier manual. Is it just me, or does someone in the technical documentation department at Vermont Castings need to retake grade 9 math?

Attachments

• wacky math 2.jpg
    wacky math 2.jpg
    78.5 KB · Views: 515
Somebody along the way did the math correctly but didn't transcribe the numbers correctly.

Rmineral board=1/0.29 x 0.25 = 0.86, not 0.431. However, the appear to have used the correct R value in the final computation.

Rtotal = 0.8 + 0.86 (instead of the 0.431 that they printed) = 1.66.... greater than the requirement.

Another goof is the use of too many significant figures throughout.

Good catch on that one. Funny you posted this too since i just put a deposit on a VC Montpelier today. It appears they calculated the R value of the mineral board incorrectly, it should be 0.86 instead of 0.413, thus putting the R value of the system at 1.66 which they did have. Now if they did the final addition of the Rbrick and Rmineral board correctly they would have seen that their math was incorrect in a previous equation when doing a check vs. the required R value.

So, have you contacted the company to point out the error? They might appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.